Rear DS problems

Well got the rear DS cut and went to install it and found problems.

The angle is to much and the DS is hitting the T-case yoke and not allowing the DS to angle down enough to hook up to the 8.8 :headpop:

Others have no problems, so not sure what is wrong. I took the grinder to it to see if I could grind off enough to clear :mad:

2581716620066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2595932330066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2412355950066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

2565490750066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your shaft is too short...you have too much yoke exposed.

just because you have the brown section of the yoke don't mean it can't run there...you see the shiny spot, it runs there. it SHOULD run farther down the slip yoke than that.

that will give you more room...but it's not gonna be cheap to retube. you didn't have the shop do the measurements did you? if you did they'll have to do it for free or next to nothing.

I can't think of another reason that it wouldn't work except maybe your pinion angle isn't set right :dunno:

Slip yoke is out for photo, it's at the same spot it ran for the first 78,000 in the XJ, so that is not it.

Pinion angle is 5deg both at the t-case and axle.

Anyway, In the photo where the axle end of theDS is is where it's free hanging. The DS is maxed out on angle and will not go down any lower to match up to the axle. I need the DS to angle down a lot more :eek:

Time for a slip yoke eliminator and a CV shaft. How much lift have you got?

That is what I am thinking, unless a t-case drop would help.

Have around 6.5" of lift. a Ford 8.8 SOA with 4x4 springs that have no sag.

2709674730066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

That looks like about 8"-9" of lift.

The YJ yoke allows for a much more angle at the transfer case. Probably double what your stock yoke offers if not more.

With that much lift, an SYE and CV is about the only thing that's going to do it. Why drop the tcase when you've gone through all the work to get the belly up off the ground?

If his rear yoke doesn't bottom out at full flex he will be good to go. The YJ yoke allows for 25+ degrees of flex. I ran it on my XJ with 5.5" of lift and 7" of droop. I could have added about 10" more droop before it would bind up and that was with a shorter driveshaft. I ran it at a constant 15 degree operating angle with no problems.

A SYE is the best way to go, but it's not needed. A YJ yoke will work.

A SYE does keep the driveshaft from hitting rocks as often and will allow for better driveline angles.

It will also tip up the diff and that will sometimes cause pinion bearings to fail.

That looks like about 8"-9" of lift.

The YJ yoke allows for a much more angle at the transfer case. Probably double what your stock yoke offers if not more.

We did not check at the start of the project, but just went out and checked and it's 44 1/4" at the center of the rear opening.

The other end is OK and turn it 90 deg and it clears on the DS side :roll:

The JY would at least get me through till we can go SYE 8)

Jeez, if I'd known that YJ yokes were good for something I wouldn't have thrown so many away. :) On a YJ, they are completely useless for more than 2" of lift.

You should have been selling them to XJ and MJ guys... :D

Couple of things to consider. IIRC the 8.8 pinion sits a lil lower. There are a couple of options. The easiest would be to rotate your pinion up to about 7* or 8*. The other option is to change from the companion flange setup to a yoke style set up. I think that even if you change to the yoke you would still have to rotate the pinion though.

Couple of things to consider. IIRC the 8.8 pinion sits a lil lower. There are a couple of options. The easiest would be to rotate your pinion up to about 7* or 8*. The other option is to change from the companion flange setup to a yoke style set up. I think that even if you change to the yoke you would still have to rotate the pinion though.

Not sure if 8* would be enough. In the photo below the DS is bottomed out on the T-case yoke. Buy the time I move the DS up is it's not hitting the yoke and turn the DS up to meet the DS will be more then 8* :dunno:

2364374520066042486S600x600Q85.jpg

I still think that yoke is sticking out too far anyways. I don't think the one in my 89 stuck out that far...

but, a YJ yoke would most definitely help.

It matches up tp the other 3 yokes we have. But then it's also about 2-3" longer then the 89 yoke :chillin:

Yeah, I have a new one. What's the measurement on your existing yoke from the center of the u-joint cap to the end of the slip shaft? This one is a Spicer unit and measures 5-7/8".

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

It's 5 7/8" but looking for something used / cheep as we may have to go with the SYE if it will not work.