'97+ front end with '84-'96 fenders?

that would efeat the purpose of having a 97 frontend???

unless you mean the pre 97 flares, in which case the bolt up, but need to be trimmed in the front. i had them on my xj in the front

No, I'm swapping the header panel, blinkers, and grill. I know the fenders aren't much different and that they do work with the new front, but I don't know how well.

The first one is probably the best pic of what you're looking for. My front fenders had been tweaked a bit before I bought it (minor fender-bender), but I didn't feel like messing with redoing the whole front end. I have too much other more pressing stuff to replace. Like the paint. My guess is that the top, outside corner of that new front clip sticks up at most 1/4" higher than the bevel of that fender, but that's only because the clip is round and the fender has the flat bevel on it. If you didn't want to replace fenders, you could just slap some bondo on the corner of that fender and blend/fade it over 6" or so to go from the bevel and build up to meet the corner of the clip. That's what I was planning on doing, basically because the rest of my Chief's body isn't perfect. Can't help ya with the flares though. I used the 97+ clip, but stuck with the 96- bumper and end caps, then went with TJ flares, though you could stay with the 96- flares, I think as long as you're running less than a 33" tire, though I can't confirm that.

I would say, if it's a trail rig- don't swap the fenders. If you're planning on washing and waxing this thing on a regular basis- then you might want to think about doing it.