Electric cooling fan ?

It's simple, wire it in through a relay and to a switch on the dash. :D Turn it on whenever you want. If you're worried you might forget to turn it off, wire it in to a switched power source so it turns off with the truck. Simple. :D

mine came with one I probably should see how it's wired up huh? ;) Why have an on demand switch at all if you have it wired to the thermostat?

because it's sometimes nice to turn it on so it runs all the time, it not only cools the motor, but the transmissions coolin section is right there as well.

and if you've installed a power steering pump cooler it's likely right in front of the electric guy as well.

Mine is straight afternarket, a HD hayden unit, it flows way more air than the sotck one, and it's wired to a switch. Didn't even bother with the fact stuff, as it never had one before.

• 2 weeks later...
How hard would it be to wire up an electric cooling fan? I have been considering one of the new electric fans from ebay.

Am I missing something on JohnQ's original post? I thought all MJ's had an electric fans & a mech. fan regardless of years or engines. But all I've owned were HO models. But I have replaced all the slab straight bladed fans with the 1996+ XJ curved blade fans; they are quieter and seem to pass more air.

How hard would it be to wire up an electric cooling fan? I have been considering one of the new electric fans from ebay.

Am I missing something on JohnQ's original post? I thought all MJ's had an electric fans & a mech. fan regardless of years or engines. But all I've owned were HO models. But I have replaced all the slab straight bladed fans with the 1996+ XJ curved blade fans; they are quieter and seem to pass more air.

not some models, i think it came with ones that had a.c? correct me if I'm wrong, my 89 w AC has it, bros 90 w/ ac has it, moms 95 w ac has it.

go-jeep did a writeup on replacing the clutch fan with an electric one.

• 1 month later...
EASY!!!! I stole one form one of the XJ's I chopped up!! NICE mod for those HOT summer trail rides!!!

Ran mine thru the fact thurmostat as wall as a switch to turn it on as required.

CW

How do you tie it into the factory thermostat? Do you have a picture where the wires connect?

if you have a manual trans and no AC you didn't get one from the factory.

Anyone have a used one in good working condition they want to part with?

John;

Have a good used one (OEM, not aftermarket) from a 1998 (has the curved blades) I'm willing to part with cheap. Shoot me a PM if interested. Looks like this - direct bolt-in replacement for the older straight blade style. Don

Fan.jpg

Anyone have a used one in good working condition they want to part with?

John;

Have a good used one (OEM, not aftermarket) from a 1998 (has the curved blades) I'm willing to part with cheap. Shoot me a PM if interested. Looks like this - direct bolt-in replacement for the older straight blade style. Don

Fan.jpg

Thanks but I just bought one from rejeep and got it last Friday.

I'm still trying to fiqure out how to wire it up if anyone has any pointers.

How do you tie it into the factory thermostat? Do you have a picture where the wires connect?

What year is your truck?

On the Renix, there is NO connection to the factory thermostat. The aux fan is controlled by a sensor that screws into the bung in the driver's side radiator tank. The sensor is basically an ON-OFF switch, which in turn connects to the control side of a standard relay that's mounted to the inside of the driver's side fender.

With the 91+ Chryco system, the aux fan is controlled by the ECM. You'll need a factory wiring diagram to figure out where to tap into the wiring harness to access that circuit.

What year is your truck?

On the Renix, there is NO connection to the factory thermostat. The aux fan is controlled by a sensor that screws into the bung in the driver's side radiator tank. The sensor is basically an ON-OFF switch, which in turn connects to the control side of a standard relay that's mounted to the inside of the driver's side fender.

With the 91+ Chryco system, the aux fan is controlled by the ECM. You'll need a factory wiring diagram to figure out where to tap into the wiring harness to access that circuit.

My truck is an 88. I was hoping there was a harness I could get so I could just plug and play.

What gauge wire should I be using to hook up the fan?

You could just add the switch in the raditor, wire it thru a relay, and have the set up automatic.

Eagle explained it for you.

The "switch" you need is here - About $18

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 89&PTSet=A

And the relay is here - $10

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 99&PTSet=A

Or set it up thru the relay and a manual switch like others do.

Also, I got two '89's w/4.0, BA10 and both have the aux fans, must have been '89 and after all MJ's came with the aux fan.

John,

Sorry I missed this. I wired mine thru that thurmostatic switch in the rad just like factory. Than I ran a power wire and switch wire, everything thru a relay.

Mine will come on as required OR when I throw the switch.

I don't have the skematic infront of me and cannot remember for sure...but I think the the rad thurmo switch is not grounded. So I ran my switched wire thru it and back to power. When its too hot (Or reaches what the factory wanted the fan to come on) it allows the connection to be made, turning it on. Then I ran another wire, from the same switched pole, into the cab and thru a switch and back to 12V. That way I am able to turn it on as I want OR auto as required.

At least I THINK thats how I did it. its all dependent on what or how that factroy thurmostatic switch worked.

CW

Where did everyone mount their relays?

High up in the engine compartment - away from potential water hazards. Also you must keep in mind the 4 wires coming out of it. I usually route my wires first then hard mount the relay.