GVWR Ratings - 4.0 MJ

Just like the title says, I need GVWR Ratings for the following; simply for my own use to make VIN graphics for the people that have requested one of me. I've been searching the site and elsewhere for about an hour or so, and haven't really gotten anything of use. Doesn't help that I just got off of work either. :ack:

Posted by Pete a few years back; all these ratings are for a 2.5, from what he posted.

4x2 sb GVWR: 4387

4x4 sb GVWR: 4551

4x2 lb GVWR: 4434

4x4 lb GVWR: 4616

I would like to know the GVWR of a 4.0 MJ. I'm only assuming here that it adds at least another 100 lbs at MOST to the rating of the SWB / LWB 4x2 and 4x4. This is based off prior information of weighings of a 2.5 and a 4.0; most agreed that there was only about 100 lbs difference between a fully dressed 2.5 vs 4.0

I shouldn't be so nit-picky with this, but I want to try and have a completely accurate Door VIN tag to offer to whoever wants it; or as close to the original thing as I can get. umn.gif It also doesn't help that I have serious OCD tendencies with things like these. :ack:

EDIT---

Does the different GVWR ratings for an MJ with a 4.0 affect it's GAWR ratings? I read that all MJ's have a 2500 FT./2700 RR weight ratio. Is this true?

according to this little booklet here are all the info you should need

sorta. supposedly those numbers are for a 2.5L equipped truck. since the 4.0 drivetrain weighs more, either the 4.0 gvwr numbers will be higher, or the 4.0 truck has a reduced payload. and it looks like the 4.0L gvwr is higher to keep the payload numbers the same.

according to this little booklet here are all the info you should need

sorta. supposedly those numbers are for a 2.5L equipped truck. since the 4.0 drivetrain weighs more, either the 4.0 gvwr numbers will be higher, or the 4.0 truck has a reduced payload. and it looks like the 4.0L gvwr is higher to keep the payload numbers the same.

:hmm: so all the weight data id for the 2.5Ls is all the towing and hauling data also 2.5?

and did the metric ton package have the 2.5L as a option? I ask because it shows the weight and payload for that package as "optional" on my 3rd pic..

guess i am a little lost :dunno:

RQD = required

REC = recommended

so the towing chart shows that to tow 5000 you need the 4.0 and other stuff.

and yes you could have ordered a 2.5L/manual MJ with the Metric tonne added on. :thumbsup: the higher gvwr was still well within the gcwr for a 2.5 with a trailer behind it.

I went to the scrap yard recently and they weighed the truck before and after I unloaded the scrap and if I remeber right It was around 3200

That's curb weight, not gross vehicle weight. Gross vehicle weight is curb weight plus payload plus occupants.

• 4 years later...

What was the final result of this topic? I Urgently need some data for my registration. My door sticker is not readable any more...

GVWR TOTAL

GAWR FRONT

GAWR REAR

TOWING CAPACITY

MJ4.0 1987 Metric Ton AW4 with towing rack mounted to frame (and also 2" tubes sticking out on both sides and in front...what are they for? Winching?)

Thanks! But that is a regular MJ, not with the metric ton package? How did you embed the photo? I will try to upload a photo of my door sticker..

My standard wheels are 15x7 and tires 225/75 R15

I would also need towing capacity for the towing package, 

thank you so much!!!!

A

ArcticMonkey is in Norway, so I imagine his version of the DMV does not have that information.  Much like we in North America do not have a lot of info about Europe only automobiles.

My 1987 owners manual just lists GCVR for trailer towing.

Hi, and thank you for your posts, The VIN simply states a range between 5001-6000lbs for GVWR not the same number as used to be printed on the door. As this was imported from french part of Canada, documentation is lacking. I have the original manual with the plastic cards (both english and french), but there are no numbers specific to this particular vehicle. I also have the original sales contract from 1987 with all the options stated. But again, no dimensions, weights, payload needed to make a norwegian DMV.

I have another question too: My MJ came with side steps (MM150 masterstep is printed on the sides) with 6 lights in them. Was this original or not? If the lights were there leaving the reseller, I can keep them here in Norway, or else I have to remove them as only larger trucks (more than 2,5m width) are allowed to have marker lights along the sides...

Thanks!

OK. finally I managed to photograph the sticker with a very high resolution camera, and from a specific angle the data showed as follows, (hardly readable so maybe some numbers are wrong) All numbers stated in KG not lbs for my canadian truck

Original stock Metric Ton Laredo 87 4.0 EFI

std wheels 225/75R15x7

GVWR TOTAL 2526 KG = 5569 lbs  (could be 2586 KG - 5700 lbs ????)

GAWR FRT     1134 KG = 2500 lbs

GAWR RR      1542 KG  = 3400 lbs

Now I did not find anything on towing capacity or payload in my documents, but were told it has a

payload of 1000 kg - 2204 lbs and

towing capacity 2268 KG - 5000 lbs with class II hitch (not from bumper but from frame fixed to the subframe of the truck, called equalizer?)

Your truck has a Class III hitch - it was shown on the Ebay pictures of your truck. You are correct on that.

An "equalizer" as you called it is something additional that is needed in addition to the Class III hitch.  It is also called a "weight distributing" hitch.  The purpose is to transfer part of the trailer tongue weight from the back wheels of the truck to the front wheels of the truck. The 1987 Comanche Owners Manual calls for use of the weight distributing hitch if the trailer tongue weight is above 350 lbs.   Here is an example of the "weight distributing hitch".

http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-weight-distributing-hitch-system-67649.html

Also, your 225/75x15 tires are important because they increase the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) from 9264 lbs, with 205/75x15 tires to 9820 lbs with the 225/75x15 tires.  The 225/75x15 are required with the Metirc Ton package

<snip>

I have another question too: My MJ came with side steps (MM150 masterstep is printed on the sides) with 6 lights in them. Was this original or not? If the lights were there leaving the reseller, I can keep them here in Norway, or else I have to remove them as only larger trucks (more than 2,5m width) are allowed to have marker lights along the sides...

Thanks!

The 1986 Comanche sales booklet I have shows factory running boards (side steps) but without lights.  I also have an original factory list of accessory part numbers and prices.  This shows 6 different factory part numbers for the running boards.  I could send you a copy of the list for you to show the DMV.  This may help convince your DMV that your parts are factory options.

My own suspicion is that your MM150 masterstep is an after market part rather than a factory authorized part.  Just don't tell your DMV that!!!