Comanche fluids and oils

Usually I just run my local auto parts store brand of oils / fluids. (Advance Auto) I've used name brand stuff before; and I can tell you from experience, most of it functions the exact same as the parts store brand (no noticeable difference in how the truck runs) There are few exceptions to this though. Usually, as far as motor oils go, I always run the thicker stuff. It's not needed in the south as much as up north, but it doesn't leak out as fast as the thinner oils whenever I used to have oil leaks.

Motor Oil - 10w/40 Regular (usually synthetic whenever I do a complete oil change; regular when I might have to add oil occasionally)

Rear Dif - 75w/90 Synthetic (Dana 35)

Tranny - 80w-90

Radiator - Prestone 50/50

No 4x4 sadly, so I don't have any recommendations on Transfercase oils. Whenever I upgrade the rear-end though, I'll probably run the Royal Purple on it to see if there's a difference. Didn't want to waste the $ on it when I flushed the diff on my 35 a few months ago. I've heard good things from a lot of people about it, so it probably wouldn't hurt to at least try it once. :thumbsup:

Transmission:

Peugot - no clue

AX4/AX5 - 10W30 motor oil (sulphur in gear oil eats the brass synchros)

AX15 - 10W30 motor oil (sulphur in gear oil eats the brass synchros)

AW4 - Dexron/Mercon ATF

Transfer case:

231 - Dexron/Mercon ATF

242 - Dexron/Mercon ATF

I know some people use gear oil in the 231. I see no issue with this other than the synchro between 2 hi and 4 hi is, you guessed it, brass.

Rear diff (D35, D44 or Chrysler 8.25):

for towing or heavy hauling - 90W140

normal driving - 75W90 or 80W90 are fine

Front diff - 75W90 or 80W90

Motor oil - I use Mobil 1 high mileage as it is still API SL. I refuse the run SM or SN unless I add something containing ZDDP. Most 4 cycle motorcycle oils are SF/SG/SJ and would work also.

Coolant: I just run the cheap green stuff mixed with distilled water. Tap water around here has so much iron in it that the rust gunk condensing out of it will plug up a radiator beyond repair in less than a week if you do.

Brakes - DOT 3

Clutch - DOT 3

Windshield washer - whatever blue stuff is cheapest.

Gasoline - 87 octane.

Just changed a lot of my fluids/oils soo...

ENGINE, 4.0 HO 215k miles: Mobil 1 High Mileage Synthetic, Purolator oil filter.

TRANNY, AW4: Walmart brand Dexron/Mercon

DIFFS, D30/D44: Walmart brand 80w-90 gear oil

Transmission:

Peugot - no clue

For the Peugot.... gear lube 75w90 is fine. You don't want too thick of a fluid. It will effect cold weather shifting.

I know that Chrysler now recommends motor oil and a shorter OCL in the AX transmissions. The main driver for that was the desire to no longer carry the correct GL-1/2/3/4 fluids in their service centers. GL-5 is the current 'standard' spec for gear lubes. But like Marcel wrote, it contains too much sulfur in it for the yellow metal parts in the transmissions. But both Amsoil and Redline do still manufacture GL-4 lubricants specifically intended for transmissions needing gear lube.

Has any one ever ran royal purple oil filters?

Champion Labs makes their filters. Champion is HUGE private label filter maker.

Don't spend the extra money on some purple tin. Get a Napa Gold or a Purolater One and call it a day.

Transmission:

Peugot - no clue

For the Peugot.... gear lube 75w90 is fine. You don't want too thick of a fluid. It will effect cold weather shifting.

I know that Chrysler now recommends motor oil and a shorter OCL in the AX transmissions. The main driver for that was the desire to no longer carry the correct GL-1/2/3/4 fluids in their service centers. GL-5 is the current 'standard' spec for gear lubes. But like Marcel wrote, it contains too much sulfur in it for the yellow metal parts in the transmissions. But both Amsoil and Redline do still manufacture GL-4 lubricants specifically intended for transmissions needing gear lube.

I used amsoil 75w-90 that they recommended for the tranny and my front/rear diff. As I looked up their site now it shows it's a gl5 oil. Should I be draining it and using something different? HOW FAST will this oil eat at my transmission?

• 5 weeks later...
Transmission:

Peugot - no clue

I used amsoil 75w-90 that they recommended for the tranny and my front/rear diff. As I looked up their site now it shows it's a gl5 oil. Should I be draining it and using something different? HOW FAST will this oil eat at my transmission?

After doing alot of google searches it seems everyone is on board with the ax15 not using gl5 fluids. I did contact amsoil directly regarding their SVG line and yellow metals. They informed me that their SVG would have no ill effects or cause any issues up to 250*F once it hits that temp the sulfer breaks from their additives and then issues may be experienced. They do however make a MTG that is GL4 and is recommended for transmissions with brass. " It protects against rust, keeps seals soft for long life and is compatible with brass synchros for smooth synchromesh shift quality........AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube is the replacement fluid for GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459 (Chrysler specification #MS-9070). "

That being said I've also found that Redline has two products safe to use in the ax15 their MT90 or MTL

penzoil makes one aswell, however when calling all of my local shops including chains noone had any on the shelf.

I also called my local chrysler stealer-ship and asked them their recommendations, they informed me that they have used 10w40 in the ax15, but they followed that up with the change interval is about every two oil changes and only for very well maintained vehicles. The guy at the shop i spoke with seemed like the no BS type. He did say that people have run the gl5 for quite some time with very few ill effects, but the chance is there so usually they push their brand product used in the NV-4500 at $24 a qt.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7