Anybody ever use a bench out of another truck???

Theres at least one person on here thats used a split bench from a Dakota as well, though I couldnt tell you who or what years the bench was from. I'm sure if you posed in the classifieds, you could get someone to trade you straight up for an MJ bench for your buckets.

I don't remember who it was that used a Dakota bench, but they were my deciding factor for keeping a bench. I am searching for a 97-(04)? Dakota split bench for my truck. From my research, the base model trucks had uncomfortable seats, but the better trim levels had nice seats.

I don't remember who it was that used a Dakota bench, but they were my deciding factor for keeping a bench. I am searching for a 97-(04)? Dakota split bench for my truck. From my research, the base model trucks had uncomfortable seats, but the better trim levels had nice seats.

I have an 04 Dakota Sport Quad cab with the front bench. Its a seriously comfy ride. I will absolutely put one in my next MJ.

I'm in reed city Michigan. Haven't edited my profile yet. And have posted on a coyple other forums for trades. Gonna look for a Dakota split bench. Were they out of the. Cabs or extended? Or don't matter?

I went with a "40/20/40" out of a 97 dakota extended cab. The center seat folds down into a console for 99.9% of my driving. For that .1% where I need to carry 2 people, I'm covered. Comfy seats too. I had to do some welding/fabrication to mount them.

• 2 weeks later...

My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm 99.9% sure that the dakote seats are 3 pieces (that I know for sure), and the center console mounts to the inside seat studs of each bucket.

The biggest thing was the height of the trans tunnel. I massaged the bracket for the center seat as much as I could to get it as low as possible, and mounted the other seats to the same height. They're a little high (I'm 5'11 to give you an idea), but not uncomforable. It looks like the other guy who posted a picture left the console a little higher than the buckets. That honestly may be the way to go.

Here's the best pictures I have:

1.5x1.5" angle across the front mounting tabs (may have buzzed the dodge ones flush)

Took the stock front seat mount and heated/bent it up to meet the angle iron

As you can see a additional bracing wouldn't hurt, and the angle that I mounted is just about butting into the trans tunnel.

The inner/rear mounts looked something like this:

And this is the outer:

As you can see it's not too bad. I did this by myself in a day when I was 18 or so, so I'm sure you can come up with something better, but at least you have an idea of what you're dealing with now.

Hope that helped,

Matt

I Attached the center seat directly to the tunnel then set the buckets as low as possable so the center seat does sit a little higher.It worked out better that way but I would have liked to set the seats even lower.

My truck had some junk buckets in it from a 4dr chevy mounted to wood blocks screwed to the floor so all my brackets are completely custom.

The front mounts are basically a "T" with one riser in the middle and the rear corners are seperate,they are made from 1" square stock with 1/4" plate for mounting tabs,the seat rails are a generic rail I snagged off some captains chairs out of a Ford conversion van.

Yea, the height of the tunnel is really the only downside to using those seats. I've thought about setting my seats lower but it's really not worth the time to redo everything.

The cupholders work perfectly with our trucks though :cheers: