Rear backing plate swap?

I have ZJ D35 disk brakes on my 8.25", and the bolt holes lined up. I imagine the bolt holes on an MJ D35 would also match an XJ 8.25".

You will have to drill/grind/cut the center hole out to fit over the larger axle tube.

I'm pretty sure the pre 90 D35 (non-C clip/10inch) backing plates will not fit on an 8.25. The 90+ D35 (C clip/9inch) backing plates are identical to the 8.25 backing plates, except the center hole on the D35 ones are a bit smaller, so would need to be reamed out.

well darn..... :idea: wait this just means i need to find some rear disc mods lol. So on that note, anyone know of a direct bolt on set of disc brakes that will fit a 98 8.25. If i have to use zj rears and cut the center i will but looking for a bolt on. I just put on a new master cyl. but if i have to replumb and replace its cool. long as i get disc in the rear. Also the front brakes on my beast are in need of some reworking. If there are a better (larger) set that will bolt to a d30 from a later model jeep i would love to know where to start looking. Thanks again, Zag

I have ZJ D35 disk brakes on my 8.25", and the bolt holes lined up. I imagine the bolt holes on an MJ D35 would also match an XJ 8.25".

You will have to drill/grind/cut the center hole out to fit over the larger axle tube.

The axle flange bolt patterns are completely different between the c-clip D35's and the non-c-clip D35's. The non-c-clip D35 flange matches the D44 flange. So it matters which D35 axle you have. And mvusse, for my own personal knowledge, I didn't know the D35 holes matched the XJ 8.25. ASSuME you are referring to the non-c-clip D35?

The 90+ D35 (C clip/9inch) backing plates are identical to the 8.25 backing plates, except the center hole on the D35 ones are a bit smaller, so would need to be reamed out.
As Geonovast already posted, the non C clip ones are different.

Yep - missed Geonovast's post.

This may help: