Factory fog lamp wiring?

No, they did not all come with the wiring. Back when my '88 XJ was new I inquired and "in the day" the wiring harness for the fog lights was available through the dealer as a separate part -- for an obscene price.

Don, If you have an XJ with factory fogs is it possible to switch the headlight harness over? along with the dash switch

Don't see why not Jim, as long as it's 95 and below.

I have factory fogs that don't work? Anyone know what fuse they use, or where else to start looking for trouble?

Mine was a blue 15 amp in the PDC in the Engine Compartment, the label is on the top of the PDC cover.

The fuse is the most likely culprit, but if not, it could be the fog lamp relay on the left front bulkhead.

Nope, can't post it because in some states it's illegal to have your HI beams and fog lights on at the same time and I'll get blasted by someone. :cheers:

I believe that's also illegal under Federal law. I know NO new vehicles with factory fogs are wired with the fogs on when the high beams are on. And it's so easy to wire them the legal way I don't know why people do it any other way.

The laws are out there , it's really up to the police to enforce things . In my area , it would be no more than an excuse to pull you over if they wanted to .

Here , by law , the "driving lights" are suppose to be wired into the high beams , not the low . I really don't know how that gets past Transport Canada except there is nothing in Transport Canada regulations pertaining to the use of aftermarket/factory auxillary lighting . So , I guess it falls under provincial legislation . Vehicles only have to meet federal guidelines , not provincial . Basically , all cars sold here in Alberta have an illegal driving light set-up .

"Fog lights" are only to be used when the weather is such that the use of regular lighting is inadeqate .

There are several types of lights , driving , aux.lights , and fog lights . All ID'd on the lens by a letter . Each is classed under provincial law with allowable uses .

They are not allowed to be aimed to the right of the vehicle , but instead to the center of the vehicles aim , and must be aimed no higher than 25" from the light . So , they are suppose to cover the area that is darkened when you have your high beams on :)

If it's raining , snowing , or foggy , I use mine because it does improve low beam visability . I avoid using them in clear weather . I always turn them off reguardless when I see a transport truck approaching . Them fellers just don't appreciate that much , I learned that lesson years ago . I still see a blue dot , lol .

I checked fuse and relay and verified voltage good to the lamps. My bulbs are corroded and rusty but not burned out...is there a replacement piece for this whole bulb piece that I can wire in to the existing wiring?

Here , by law , the "driving lights" are suppose to be wired into the high beams , not the low . ...

"Fog lights" are only to be used when the weather is such that the use of regular lighting is inadeqate .

There are several types of lights , driving , aux.lights , and fog lights . All ID'd on the lens by a letter . Each is classed under provincial law with allowable uses . .

Driving lights are different from fog lights, and both are different from "auxiliary" (or "off-road") lights. Fog lights legally canNOT operate with the high beams. Driving lights by law MUST operate ONLY with the high beams. And off-road lights aren't supposed to be used on the streets at all -- my state and several others require them to be covered when driving on public roads, but it's rarely enforced.

Here , by law , the "driving lights" are suppose to be wired into the high beams , not the low . ...

There are several types of lights , driving , aux.lights , and fog lights . All ID'd on the lens by a letter . Each is classed under provincial law with allowable uses . .

Driving lights are different from fog lights, and both are different from "auxiliary" (or "off-road") lights. Fog lights legally canNOT operate with the high beams. Driving lights by law MUST operate ONLY with the high beams. And off-road lights aren't supposed to be used on the streets at all -- my state and several others require them to be covered when driving on public roads, but it's rarely enforced.

on my DD 98 elantra my fogs stay on with the high beam. and their factory. i like the look of them so i never turn them off lol

• 3 months later...
on my DD 98 elantra my fogs stay on with the high beam. and their factory. i like the look of them so i never turn them off lol

Yeah, but you're in Canada :Canadaflag:. Y'all copied the Brits and used their weird traffic regs except from driving on the wrong side of the road. :clapping: