steering box ?s

i'm kinda in a bind right now. i need to replace my steering box really quick. so i wanted to know what and if there was a more heavy duty or just plain better steering box that i could get at the JY that would be direct bolt on. i tried a search but was having a hard time finding info. if someone could piont me at the right direction please! that would be great. oh i have an 89 4.0 ba10/5 231 swb power steering. thanks again to all the guru's out there

ZJ (93-98) box should be a bolt-in, plus slightly quicker ratio. I doubt it's any

more heavy duty, but I don't think these things are terribly weak. I'm getting

ready to install one this weekend, and hoping the pitman arm is the same.

Otherwise it requires around 150 ftlbs of torque plus staking (per FSM).

By loose what do you mean? Wandering going down the road? Or slop in the steering, even at stop?

Track bar loose will make it wander going down the road. A lot. Got so bad I was afraid to drive on the weekends for fear of DUI stop.

Steering box has some adjustment for wear, excessive slop.

Maybe need someone to wobble steering wheel, while watching steering linkage.

My track bar has needed replaced twice in two years, loose at frame bracket end both times.

And, don't bother trying to rebuild one, plenty of good used ones fit.

ZJ box is in my future.

:agree:

Go down to U-Pull & Pay just west of the airport off the expressway (Landstar exit)

and grab a used one (they've got plenty) for $35: http://www.upullandpay.com/locations/or ... Guide.aspx

If you're lucky, and go to the far end of the first Jeep row, you will find a ZJ with the box

already pulled and sitting on the driver's floor. I pulled two and left one behind.

ZJ (93-98) box should be a bolt-in, plus slightly quicker ratio. I doubt it's any more heavy duty, but I don't think these things are terribly weak. I'm getting ready to install one this weekend, and hoping the pitman arm is the same. Otherwise it requires around 150 ftlbs of torque plus staking (per FSM).

The Pitman arms are not the same. The ZJ arm drops about an inch lower than the XJ/MJ arm, so you'll have to use you're existing MJ Pitman arm on the new ZJ box. The quicker ratio ZJ box (12.7:1 vs. the 14.1:1 MJ box) may seem slight, but but you can really feel the difference. Much better on the road but I wouldn't want it on a wheelin' MJ. :cheers:

sweet i was acttually planning on going there tomorrow to get one. flint54, did the one you left behind look ok? that would save me so much time if i didn't have to remove it. hey since you're doing yours this weekend, we should have a steering box replacement party! jamminz.gif

By loose what do you mean? Wandering going down the road? Or slop in the steering, even at stop?

Track bar loose will make it wander going down the road. A lot. Got so bad I was afraid to drive on the weekends for fear of DUI stop.

My track bar has needed replaced twice in two years, loose at frame bracket end both times.

ZJ box is in my future.

ZJ box is in my future.

i noticed a some shimmy going down the road and i noticed a little knocking or clicking when i turn the wheel from one side to the other. i had my wife turn the wheel while i look underneath for anything loose, thats when i found the steering box shaft would move from one side to the other when i wheel was moved. everything else underneath was tight as i just replaced most things in the last year. i put a new track bar on it just today thinking it was that.

the next person to remove it will have an even tougher

time getting it off.

thats no joke. mine was loose so i grabbed a jy box. went to pull the pitman with my dinky little 3 jay puller, no luck. my dad has a service truck so i went to his place to use his badass 2 ton huyraulic puller. still not luck. used the puller bracket and slapped a 10ton porta power ram in the bracket. pulling with both hands i had the pump maxed out and it finally went KAPOW!! the previouse installer tightened it so much that the splines mushroomed into the shaft. staking it seems overboard, just get it nice and snug, they have lock washers on them to keep pressure and prevent backing from off.

staking it seems overboard, just get it nice and snug, they have lock washers on them to keep pressure and prevent backing from off.

Agree with that. Didn't stake mine when I installed the ZJ box 3+ years ago. I do check it now and then and it's remained properly torqued. Use some Loktite.

anyone ever try to rebuild one? it steers fine its just the shaft is loose. it doesn't even leak fluid.

Which shaft, the input shaft or the pitman shaft on the bottom? What do you mean by "loose"? If you just mean free play in rotation, there is an adjustment for that (which has to be undertaken with caution, or you trash the box). If either shaft has side-to-side wobble, the box needs to be rebuilt.