Electrical issues

Well I've been having some problems with everything lately. I guess I'll just list them.

Headlights and dashlights pulse.

The radio works but if I turn it up past a certain volume it cuts out or if I put the turn signals on the radio will cut off.

My front right turn signal works but my front left one doesnt.

Any suggestions for solutions to this problem?

Check your main dash board ground connection. It is a #12AWG black wire that attaches to a metal bracket behind the lower dash cover, left side near the AC vent used to cool the driver's legs. It's about 3" from the driver's foot well courtesy light.

If you lay on your back and look up at the courtesy lamp you should see the sheet metal attachment screw. Make sure the connection is tight and corrosion free.

I think I found it and it looks fine? :-/

Just because it looks fine does not mean it is. Trace the wire out to the distant end and make sure it's connected to a good ground. Disconnect the wire from the dash bracket and check it for continuity to ground with a ohmmeter.

its hard to trace the wire because it joins a a large group of wires wrapped up in electrical tape.

Disconnect the wire and test it with an ohmeter to be sure it goes to ground.

and its an automatic. would there be clutch fluid dripping into the fuse box?

No.

Pulsing lights could be the sign of a failing Alternator...

The radio likely has a bad circuit inside of it, I had 1 do the same thing and replaced it with another OEM unit and the problem ceased.

Check your front bulb sockets for corrosion and check the tailight ground behind the drivers side tail light. These trucks are notorious for playing electrical games with simply 1 bad ground connection.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Check the fuse box connections for corrosion. I had a similar problem. My fuse block connections were so corroded that the plastic on several of the fuses was starting to melt. The resistance was enough to cause the headlights to dim, the turn signals to not work, the running lights and backup lights to not work, the radio to turn on but not work, etc.

You could also just buy some battery cable and run some extra grounds to the firewall. I just bought two and plan on running them to the firewall but on the engine side of the firewall to the block and to a fender.

Also, if you look at the back side of the radio you will see a threaded port in the middle. I don't see it doing anything so I plan on threading a ground cable to that and then adding another ground to the firewall off that.

As Don said, 90 % of electrical problems are associated with the grounds. Along with the one he mentions there is a ground wire that is at the top of the headlight switch. You will need to reach up into the dash to check it however, as you cannot see it unless you partially remove the dash. It will be at the very top of the headlight switch.

Good luck