gauge cluster swap

my 88 comanche doesn't have a tack in the dash it just has a big fuel gauge where the tack should be. if i grab another gauge cluster with the gauges i want as long as it's from a 6 cyl jeep like mine, will it plug in? do i have the wiring allready there for everything to plug in?

i really got interested in this when i found a jeep at the local junk yard with about the same mileage on it. this way my odometer will still be correct.

You will also need the correct temp and oil pressure sending units to get the gauges to work properly.

Everything else is "plug and play" :thumbsup:

even if my cluster i have now has gauges for the temp, oil press., and volts? or do you mean that i would have to swap only if i had all idiot lights.

i have all other gauges in my cluster except for the gas gauge being where the tack should be.

is their some kind of rev limiter on my truck? if not it would not make sense to not put in a tack from the factory.

the amc logo in the bottom left lights up when the fuel is low

here you go

Image Not Found

That was the same cluster I had. I didnt need to swap any of the sensors. When it comes time to remove the cluster, first unscrew the speedometer cable from the tranny. Then feed some of that slack up to the tack. It gives you a lot of extra room to work.

Tachs are very important for an MJ. I can't imagine why they didnt install tachs on all of them. Back in the day, they were bragging about how powerful the engine was. Mine had the 3.08 gearing and in 5th, it could barely make it up a hill. Only after I installed a tach did I figure out the engine really was strong. The gearing was just poorly done. Now, In my case, I know not to use 5th until I get up to 60+mph. You will be glad you have it.

i got one but the odometer reads 130,000 and mine is 179,000. how do i get the new one to match. i know i can connect a drill to it but that would take a while. is their a way to swap just the odometer numbers to the new cluster? or take it apart and move the numbers to where i need them

I believe there's a way to change the numbers on the Renix cluster, but I'm not sure how to do it. You can, however, move your entire speedometer into the new cluster. This usually isn't done, since most people want the tripometer, but your old speedo already has that.

There is a writeup on naxja I think on how to switch your odometer to match. If I remember from doing mine, you just take the tumbler assembly out, remove the c clip, and slide each number over one at a time and spin it till its where you want it. when they are all set slide them back and put the c clip back on. Someone will prob post the link for your