Clutch Problems

May I prevail upon the learned MJ minds of the forum as to their opinions on a problem that has just arisen with my MJ? I have an '87, 4.0, 5 speed. Upon

getting ready to leave the woods after an evening of bowhunting, I found that my clutch wouldn't engage. No pedal whatsoever. Upon checking the

clutch master cylinder, it was found to be devoid of fluid. After getting it home, I refilled the master with fluid, and after a few pumps of the pedal, it was

functioning properly again, but it didn't "feel" quite right. I decided that the line needed to be bled. Now, after being bled, I can get no pedal at all again. I have

bled the lines 3 or 4 times, and nothing I do will get the clutch functioning again. I can start the engine, pump the pedal like a madman 8 or ten times and get it

to go into gear and hold, but as soon as the pedal is released, I have no clutch again. Does this sound more like the master needs to be rebuilt, or the slave

cylinder gone bad? Master cylinder is no problem, but if I have to pull the transmission, it will not return. I have an AW4 with an NP242 waiting in the weeds.

Your opinions greatly appreciated!

Jeephack

sounds like a slave, but could also be a master... if the trans bellhouse is wet with fluid and it leaves puddles on the ground, it be a slave... if it leaves no puddles outside then the master could be leaking onto the floor of the truck, and the main fuse block which can make for all kinds of other electrical problems if its been leaking long enough the chew up the plastic...

It was the master. Replacing one bad master with another bad one kind of complicates

diagnosis somewhat. I'm not "planning" a swap. I just have the AW4 waiting in the wings

if the goat ever breaks. Thanks for the help guys.

Jeephack :cheers:

Maybe it was both?? I replaced the master yesterday afternoon and bled the lines.

Drove it awhile and everything worked fine. This afternoon, I get in it to go hunting

and---no clutch pedal whatsoever. Upon further inspection, I also found a large pool

of brake fluid underneath the transmission. Guess it's time to retire the goat. I'm

going to be bugging you guys for lots of information. Engine swaps I have done.

Never transmissions. Any pertinent pre-wrenching suggestions would be greatly

appreciated.

Jeephack

Maybe it was both?? I replaced the master yesterday afternoon and bled the lines.

Drove it awhile and everything worked fine. This afternoon, I get in it to go hunting

and---no clutch pedal whatsoever. Upon further inspection, I also found a large pool

of brake fluid underneath the transmission. Guess it's time to retire the goat. I'm

going to be bugging you guys for lots of information. Engine swaps I have done.

Never transmissions. Any pertinent pre-wrenching suggestions would be greatly

appreciated.

Jeephack

don't throw the peugeot trans away. keep it around for another member in need. same with the trans mount if it's in decent shape.

Replace the fluid with cooking oil (Crisco or corn oil) and it'll work till it freezes. (you have to warm it up a couple minutes to shift)

Say What? :nuts:

I've done that on 3 of them so far. It's thicker than brake fluid so it doesn't leak

• 2 weeks later...
Replace the fluid with cooking oil (Crisco or corn oil) and it'll work till it freezes. (you have to warm it up a couple minutes to shift)

Say What? :nuts:

I've done that on 3 of them so far. It's thicker than brake fluid so it doesn't leak

I figured I had little to lose, and a hunting season without time lost due to swapping transmissions to gain

if this worked. It does!!! Many thanks, Carnuck! Now, instead of going to Auto Zone, I go to Winn Dixie.

:cheers: