Charcoal canister needed?

I'm starting to mount everything back into the engine bay of my '88 MJ (non-HO -> HO engine and wiring swap) and was wondering if I need to keep the charcoal canister. I'd like to simplify all the hoses running all over but don't know how this is going to affect the truck.

Will it still run okay?

Where do I route the lines without the canister?

Will there be any other downside to this?

It'll be a trail truck with the occasional road drive to and from trails plus I live in MI so there is no emissions testing.

Thanks.

The ball that your talking about is a vacuum reservoir. What I'm talking about is the gray canister next to the firewall on the framerail (see pic)

I think it relates to emissions somehow. Just want to know if I can trash it and reroute some lines.

i know that those things help keep the gas fumes from getting out and redirects it either back to the gas tank or to the engine. i had a line break on another truck i had and it had a strong smell of gas around the engine that i thought was a broken fuel line but it was the cannister line instead, and when i found the break and fixed it i didn't smell gas anymore. as far as removing it and doing something different with the lines i have no idea on that i'm sure someone on here knows what to do. 8)

My brother and I took them out of our Chevys. All I remember going to it on the SBC was a line for the gas tank to breath into, but I know there was more than one line. Kind of a safety thing, cause if the fumes aren't going into the canister, they are going out by the gas tank or going into the engine bay. Didn't stop us rednecks.

If you want to clean up the engine bay, you can relocate the charcoal canister to somewhere else. Even back by the fuel tank, and just run the vapor recover line back up to the engine. Very few vehicle still have the canister in the engine compartment.

I would recomend that you leave the canister in the jeep Yes it is a safety issue as well as a emissions issue it is not that difficult to plumb or maintain so why remove it ?Bill

Not removing it. It's not currently in the truck. I would be leaving it out. I'll have to take a look at it this weekend to make sure I have evernything to go with it.