MJ vs XJ - Stock Coil Springs

This is probably a redundant question, but can I assume that the stock XJ springs are the same as those found on the MJ? The '88 Comanche that I have found has lift springs on them and they raise the front end a bit too high for me. I would like to buy a set of springs at the JY and replace the Lift springs. Does anyone see a problem with using XJ coil springs?

Thanks

On the spring question: If I was to replace my 2.5 in my 87 MJ with a chev350, best to use the V8 YJ coils or 4.0 XJ coils?

You must mean ZJ V8 coils. The YJ was the first Wrangler, with square headlights and leaf springs.

One more question ... The Pull-A-Part has a set of springs from a 2WD Cherokee. I assume that the 2WD coil springs are not the same as the 4WD, but my Chilton manual does not say anything about a difference.

Would 2WD springs work on my 4WD Comanche? thanks.

When they lifted the front did they also add longer shocks? Is the sway bar connected? What else was done besides longer springs? Axles are unsprung weight so the coils won't be different. I used the 4WD off an XJ on my 2wd without a problem and I'm sure the reverse is true. I had the same thing when I bought my Comanche. Someone lifted the front but not the rear. At night my headlights pointed to the sky.

Mac...

When they lifted the front did they also add longer shocks? Is the sway bar connected? What else was done besides longer springs? Axles are unsprung weight so the coils won't be different. I used the 4WD off an XJ on my 2wd without a problem and I'm sure the reverse is true. I had the same thing when I bought my Comanche. Someone lifted the front but not the rear. At night my headlights pointed to the sky.

Mac...

That is exactly what they did. The sway bar and all the steering linkages look factory, but they added a longer coil spring and much longer shocks. The front end is much higher than the rear. I will try to post some pics later. I am hoping to replace the coil springs and the shocks to give a much more level look. I will need new wheels and tires.....but that is a different subject.

Did you do anything extra when you dropped the front of your comanche?

I have a set of brand new TJ coils that I will trade you for your lift springs.

TJ coils are shorter/softer than XJ/MJ coils and would result in a ride height about 2 inches LOWER than stock.

When lowering the front back to stock height, remember that it will affect the toe-in, so have the alignment checked immediately, unless you really don't like your tires.

From the FSM, here's a list of the various front coil springs that were available for MJs and XJs. Unfreaking believable.

SPRING, Front

5200 1107 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EF (#655)

5200 1108 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EG (#690)

5200 1109 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EH (#727)

5200 1110 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EJ (#765)

5200 1111 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EK (#806)

5200 1784 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EL

5200 1785 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EM

5200 1786 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EN

5200 1787 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded EP

5200 1788 AR MJ Light Duty, Coded ER

5200 1789 AR Standard Duty, Coded FL

5200 1114 AR Std. Duty, Coded FE (#607)

5200 1115 AR Std. Duty, Coded FF (#646)

5200 1116 AR Std. Duty, Coded FG (#688)

5200 1117 AR Std. Duty, Coded FH (#733)

5200 1118 AR Std. Duty, Coded FJ (#780)

5200 1119 AR Std. Duty, Coded FK (#831)

5200 1790 AR Std. Duty, Coded FM

5200 1791 AR Std. Duty, Coded FN

5200 1792 AR Std. Duty, Coded FP

5200 1120 AR H.D., Coded GD (#578)

5200 1122 AR H.D., Coded GF (#670)

5200 1121 AR H.D., Coded GE (#622)

5200 1123 AR H.D., Coded GG (#720)

5200 1124 AR H.D., Coded GH (#775)

5200 1125 AR H.D., Coded GJ (#834)

5200 1793 AR H.D., Coded GK

5200 1794 AR H.D., Coded GL

5200 1795 AR H.D., Coded GM

5200 1796 AR H.D., Coded GN

From the FSM, here's a list of the various front coil springs that were available for MJs and XJs. Unfreaking believable.

They used different coded springs depending on what equipment was on the vehicle, so they would all ride at the same height with or without options. It wasn't unusual to find different spring codes on the left and right side of the same vehicle.

Thanks Eagle - makes sense. But how do you ID the spring codes? I have OME coils, so it doesn't matter to moi anymore, but have always wondered how to ID all the various stock options. Probable had a piece of tape wrapped around one of the coils w. a p/n that disappeared in a year or two? Or maybe a paint ring? I have no clue. :D

Thanks Eagle - makes sense. But how do you ID the spring codes? I have OME coils, so it doesn't matter to moi anymore, but have always wondered how to ID all the various stock options. Probable had a piece of tape wrapped around one of the coils w. a p/n that disappeared in a year or two? Or maybe a paint ring? I have no clue. :D

You guessed it -- there was originally a tag on each spring. I pulled the code off the tags on my (now my wife's) 2000 XJ Classic when it was new and the tags were there and readable. The XJ has Up Country. When I used that number to order a duplicate set of springs to put in the old XJ, the parts guru recognized the code and asked why I was ordering ZJ coils for an XJ. That's how I know XJ Up Country coils are the same as stock ZJ V8 coils.

He may or may not have actually recognized it (some of those parts counter guys are real good with the numbers) - the parts db will give you some of the apps the spring is used in when you look the part up. For example, throw "11502814" into the part number lookup on mopardiscountparts.com and it'll tell you that that particular nut (XJ/MJ LCA/spring/shackle nut) is still in use today on modern Jeep vehicles, including some of the rear 4-link and y-link suspension systems.