Towing capacity of a 1990 comanche

You can pull and get a decent amount going with that. I've heard of people pulling a 10,000lb trailer... but not on 3.07 gearing. I myself have pulled another MJ behind me (on the 4.0 HO/AX-15/D35/3.07 setup) with the bed full of random junk, and didn't have any problems getting going. The bigger question is how much can you stop?

You could have a 360 in there, with an indestructable transmission, and a D44, but it won't mean squat unless you've got good brakes.

realistically the tow capacity w/ an ax15 is around 3500 lbs. the auto can actually tow more in these trucks. mj's can have a 5000 lb capacity w/ aw4 trans, axillary trans cooler, and trailer brakes.

And a Dana 44 rear axle.

Realistically, for the truck described I would consider the maximum towing capacity to be 2,500 pounds.

realistically the tow capacity w/ an ax15 is around 3500 lbs. the auto can actually tow more in these trucks. mj's can have a 5000 lb capacity w/ aw4 trans, axillary trans cooler, and trailer brakes.

And a Dana 44 rear axle.

Realistically, for the truck described I would consider the maximum towing capacity to be 2,500 pounds.

i knew i was forgetting something in that list, thanks. definitely dana 44 to tow 5000 lbs.

Hmm... How to convert a 1987-1990 Renix MJ 4.0L 5spd into a Towing Machine :brows: :

IMO:

-Start with a Long bed 2WD MJ

Cooling:

-Add '95 era Ford Explorer power steering cooler.

-Consider Converting to "Open Cooling"

-Consider High Flow water pump

Engine:

-K&N or High flow drop in air filter

-Hi flow muffler

-Brown Dog Motor Mounts

-Any power mods of your choice

Transmission (AX-15):

-Synthetic 10w-30

-HD/High performance Clutch kit

Rear End and Suspension:

-Swap in Dana 44, or 29 Spline 8.25, or Ford 8.8 with minimun 3.73 gears and synthetic 75w-140 gear oil

-Metric Ton Springs

-Heavy Duty Shocks Front and Rear

-V8 ZJ Front Sway Bar

Brakes:

-'95-'96 XJ or WJ Dual Diaphram Booster Swap

-WJ knuckle/dual piston caliper Swap

-Inspect and/or replace all brake lines

-Delete Rear brake proportioning valve

Electrical:

-Swap in Delco 100 amp Alternator or mod a 91+ 136 amp one in.

-Upgrade all grounds and positive cables

-7 Pin trailer harness with Prodigy Brake Controller

Tires:

-Load Range C Tires in near stock size

Hitch:

-Class III Uhaul Hitch or Custom HD bumper hitch

-Load distributing hitch with sway control device

IMO 5k would be a breeze with above mods. :dunce: :thumbsup:

Hmm... How to convert a 1987-1990 Renix MJ 4.0L 5spd into a Towing Machine :brows: :

IMO:

-Start with a Long bed 2WD MJ

Cooling:

-Add '95 era Ford Explorer power steering cooler.

-Consider Converting to "Open Cooling"

-Consider High Flow water pump

Engine:

-K&N or High flow drop in air filter

-Hi flow muffler

-Brown Dog Motor Mounts

-Any power mods of your choice

Transmission (AX-15):

-Synthetic 10w-30

-HD/High performance Clutch kit

Rear End and Suspension:

-Swap in Dana 44, or 29 Spline 8.25, or Ford 8.8 with minimun 3.73 gears and synthetic 75w-140 gear oil

-Metric Ton Springs

-Heavy Duty Shocks Front and Rear

-V8 ZJ Front Sway Bar

Brakes:

-'95-'96 XJ or WJ Dual Diaphram Booster Swap

-WJ knuckle/dual piston caliper Swap

-Inspect and/or replace all brake lines

-Delete Rear brake proportioning valve

Electrical:

-Swap in Delco 100 amp Alternator or mod a 91+ 136 amp one in.

-Upgrade all grounds and positive cables

-7 Pin trailer harness with Prodigy Brake Controller

Tires:

-Load Range C Tires in near stock size

Hitch:

-Class III Uhaul Hitch or Custom HD bumper hitch

-Load distributing hitch with sway control device

IMO 5k would be a breeze with above mods. :dunce: :thumbsup:

i am trying the 5k haul with mine soon. i agree with all that except they say the ax15 can't do it, and i think it is the clutch. so is there an hd clutch that can do it? i prefer manual trans, but my big ton is an aw4, and it stated that trans can do it. and they get hot, so auxilary trans cooler is mandatory.

Google turns up conflicting info. Some sources say the MJ with auto and 4.0L engine could tow 5,000 pounds, one source says 4,000, and several others say 3,500. I know the XJ was rated to tow 5,000 with a Class II hitch and automatic, but my recollection is the MJ was only rated to tow 3,500. And that was with the tow package, which included the Dana 44 axle.

I have towed a transporter with an XJ on it behind an MJ. The MJ had a 5-speed, 4.0L, and 3.73 gears. It was NOT pretty. It was a one-time deal to bring home a partially stripped XJ that had to be moved or get scrapped, so I moved it.

Never again. There was not enough weight over the rear axle, even with the weight on the trailer located to put about the right weight on the hitch. The trailer pushed the truck around all the way home. This was an aluminum transporter trailer, and the XJ was pretty well stripped so it didn't weigh nearly full advertised curb weight. I'll guess I was pulling about 4,000 pounds, total.

definitely long bed, i think that is a big difference from towing with an xj, and having the right trailer to put the load in the right place.

my owner's manual says 5,000 lbs with the things listed before for the auto, and 3500 for the manual.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CFO0/384193.oap?year=1990&make=Jeep&model=Comanche&vi=1181753&pt=1344P&ppt=C0015

Centerforce Performance Clutch

IMO Clutch issues (and lower tow weight rating) arise due to the transmission having to turn the weight against OEM 3.07 gears :ack: With a manual, you can downshift more readily for engine braking vs. and auto trans.

If I were building this truck I would probably go with 4.10 gears or better with LSD. :thumbsup:

Recently I towed a 790lb trailer with a 4800lb Dodge truck on it ,5590lbs GTW, using my '89MJ, 2.5L,5spd, 4.11rear. I placed the Dodge on the trailer until I got a 2" rear bumper drop, approx. I had to slip the clutch a little to get moving but once underway no further problems. The trailer had electric brakes. Also had the original factory bumper with 2"ball. I did know I had a load but took it easy and had no problems.

I've been towing my tow dolly for a long time. 10-12 jeeps I'd guess. not a fan.

looking at trading my dolly for a 17 foot dual axle car trailer.

then looking at selling my trail rig and buying an older fullsize for towing.

What that CAN do, you THINK they should be able to do and what is SAFE is very likely VERY DIFFERENT!

Remember we are speaking about a vehicle that's over twenty years old. many with tired suspensions, steering, trannys and engines. Use your head if you need something to tow near 5K. Go buy a Ford/Cheby/Dodge/FSJ with a full frame and a V8 engine. If its only a one time thing, find a buddie with said truck and buy him a case of beer for the troubles. OR maybe go rent such a truck for the afternoon.

I am in the same boat, I really need a tow vehicle. I used to own a 2WD F250 after I sold that I would borrow my pops Dodge 1500. Now that's gone. I use the F350 @ work for the occasional two job. But last year we bought a bigger boat... 23' cutty cabin. Its HEAVY!!! the last owner delivered it with a F350 diesel and it squatted the suspension! We found that the trailer was not set up properly as the tongue weight was over 500 lbs!!! Before my heart attack, I could just lift it to get a block under it. Now... FORGET THAT!! Its still heavy but better at 375lbs. I would love to find a J20 but will likely have to settle for a FSJ Grand Cherokee. That's fine cause there is more room for my fishing buddies!!

Any how, If you haven't caught my "drift" so far, I agree with Eagle. 3500lb is a sensible MAXIMUM for our trucks. Regardless of equipment. I would very much hate to read of one of you getting hurt doing something like this, because you read on here its "doable".

JMHO, CW

I've been towing my tow dolly for a long time. 10-12 jeeps I'd guess. not a fan.

looking at trading my dolly for a 17 foot dual axle car trailer.

then looking at selling my trail rig and buying an older fullsize for towing.

Totally agree....

After towing my XJ a few times with a less than desirable set-up....

Buying a proper trailer and cheapo tow rig.. was BY FAR cheaper than trying to rig substitutes up or the consequences. All told I had about $2k into a 17 foot car trailer and old Ferd P/U. Even now with swapping an FSJ for the Ferd, I'm still only about $3500 into the entire set-up, I've got plenty of room for the family and camping gear and the cool factor of tooling around in a woody.

:agree: And with all the money put into the upgrades I listed above, you could buy an old tow rig. But hey, for whatever reason (no room for an extra vehicle, insurance, registration, inspection etc.) that is not an option for some people.

Another problem is that if you get into an accident, for legal reasons, if it is found you are towing more than the MFG listed tow rating, you could be in big trouble (ie lawsuit).

In response to replies to my previous post. I do not advocate or want to encourage the misuse of any vehicle. I have a 1977 J20 for most of my towing needs. I have a 1947 Diamond T for my heavy needs. On this day the J20 was down due to the fact I was working on the engine and it was partially disassembled. The T I had loaned to a neighbor and he hadn't returned it yet. The Dodge had to be out of the storage yard by 4 PM. It was 2:15 when I was notified of this. I did what I had to with what I had. I keep my equipment up and well maintained and like I said. "I took it easy." 'nuff said. Jim

I don't believe its a tow dolly, but a set of overload add-on tires. Its like a kit that bolts to the frame, and lets 2 extra tires swing down and help support the load. Similar to what you would find on a big dump truck, or concrete truck.

Rob L.