Parts list for SOA Lift... Suggestions??? Better Prices???

So I'm getting my prices and parts list together so I can order the parts I need in about a week... My plan is a SOA lift on my 88 MJ... Here is what I have so far... If you have any suggestions or know of better prices, let me know... Or if some supporters of Comanche Club have some of these products please let me know...

Front

5.5 RE XJ Coils- $179.00 (jeepin outfitters)

Factory Control Arms Upper and Lower- $135 (quadratec)

Track Bar and 3/4" Drop bracket- $189 (Iron Rock Offroad)

will get a zj Pitman arm if I have bump steer or steering and track bar not parallel

Quick discos- $50 (rough country)

Control Arm Drops- $215 (rocky road outfitters)

Rear

Antiwrap spring perches- $40 (4 wheel drive hardware)

U-Bolts- $40 (RE from east side custom truck)

Spring Plate- $40 (4wd factory.com)

Shock mounts- $18 (rustys offroad)

Shocks

RE Monotubes- $320 (jeepin outfitters)

Brake Lines front and rear- $90 (crown industrial from quadratec)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think factory control arms and a 5.5" lift are the best combination. I know it wouldn't have worked in my case. I needed adjustable uppers and lowers. Plus the factory arms' formed steel are not the strongest.

I'm gettin drop brackets, did you read to the end or just to factory control arms... I was wondering how long it would take someone to say this...

oh yeah I want factory control arms for a smooth ride, and less vibrations to the unibody...

No, I DID see the drop brackets on your list. Even though you are using drop brackets, at 5.5 inches, the arms still need to be longer than stock to retain the wheelbase and front pinion angle (if 4WD). There are some charts floating around showing control arm lengths in relation to inches of lift.

I too am running drop brackets and I know stock length arms were not going to work. At least in my case.

Plus, did you miss the part about strength? If you are going to wheel your truck at all, those flimsy control arms are going to twist and bend.

I get $1300 bucks as a total. do any of those prices include shipping? Seems like you could get a complete kit from Rubicon express or something for that much dough. :dunno: Maybe even a longarm one.

And i concur that stock arms should not be reused if at all possible. At the very least upgrade to stock WJ lowers. :thumbsup:

No, I DID see the drop brackets on your list. Even though you are using drop brackets, at 5.5 inches, the arms still need to be longer than stock to retain the wheelbase and front pinion angle (if 4WD). There are some charts floating around showing control arm lengths in relation to inches of lift.

I too am running drop brackets and I know stock length arms were not going to work. At least in my case.

Plus, did you miss the part about strength? If you are going to wheel your truck at all, those flimsy control arms are going to twist and bend.

Everything I have read says to take 4.5 inches off the "chart" to get arm length so I would be at 1 inch of lift... That doesn't require longer arms.... I have the the RE Control arms for my XJ with the 4.5 on it and when I put my drop brackets on I had to adjust my uppers to stock length and my axle is definetly pushed forward due to the longer lowers...

I get $1300 bucks as a total. do any of those prices include shipping? Seems like you could get a complete kit from Rubicon express or something for that much dough. :dunno: Maybe even a longarm one.

And i concur that stock arms should not be reused if at all possible. At the very least upgrade to stock WJ lowers. :thumbsup:

I did look at the RE 5.5 Extreme duty for the MJ but with the monotubes it is a little bit more that $1300... Not to mention that RE includes the drop bracket without the braces.. I don't think the braces work with an MJ... That spells breakage way faster than stock arms...

I even thought about going rough country for 900 and getting the drop brackets from RRO but I'm just worried about the quality of their shocks, trackbars, and springs....

Now I'm second guessing myself.. I've already gone crazy getting this list together...

How about a comanche club supporting vendor?? Anyone know a good one... Maybe I could call them up and get the RE kit without their drop brackets... I really don't like their control arms either... I couldn't keep bushings in them fast enough before I got my drop brackets... Now it's better but I don't like having to order special bushing from them... I like being able to get my parts at the local stores if I need to...

I'm so confused now... I was thinking I'd post my recipe and everyone would be high-fiving saying "that's the best SOA lift I have ever seen" :cheers: :clapping: jamminz.gif ...

Well now I'm totally open to ideas... I was wanting RE springs and shocks because that is what I have on my XJ and it rides pretty nice but it is all I've ever known of lifted jeeps... Money is a factor for me, but I don't want junk that is gonna make me mad later... :doh:

The brace angles from the bracket to the unibody and extends to the crossmember... Everything I've read says the brace is a must... From experience on my XJ they look pretty important...

Here is a link to the RRO mj drops

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/comanch ... _drop2.JPG

See what it would be with out the braces... Just a box mounted below the old mount... Looks like it needs a brace to me

Notice the factory control arms and how level they are.... Looks like a 4.5 inch lift to me....

Why would I want to cut off the factory brace just to use the RE Drops... I'll just get the RRO drops for $215 way cheaper and stronger than RE...

RE is "The standard" when it comes to lifts. Money talks. Cheap out, and you are going to pay for it in ride, and performance. The only "Comancheclub" supporting lift company is hellcreeksuspensions.com. Comanche club is and always will be a sponsor free forum. Hell creek is actually a member here (Tom), and he just extends a discount to us as a courtesy. He uses his own leaves for the rear (if needed). Otherwise he carries Rough country components.

I would just go with the RE kit. If you are that worried about the extra brace, RE has a brace kit to back up the DB's.

Rob L.

I would just go with the RE kit. If you are that worried about the extra brace, RE has a brace kit to back up the DB's.

Rob L.

I know they have a brace but it won't fit the MJ...If I could get the RE kit with the cost of the drop brackets taken off... I would order it today... Maybe without their arms...

Rob L.

I know they have a brace but it won't fit the MJ...If I could get the RE kit with the cost of the drop brackets taken off... I would order it today... Maybe without their arms...

The brace would fit if you removed the MJ support.

Rob L.

I'm still going to use the RE springs and the monotubes... everything else in their kit can be changed and still have same ride quality if not better...

Like the IRO track bar.. same articulation, and strength but it has bushings on both ends instead of a johnny joint..

RE control arms aren't gonna make it ride or handle anybetter, they may be more durable but in the end they all will do the same job...

I personally wouldn't want to weaken the unibody mount... I just don't want to cut on my nice California rust free MJ...

I hear what your saying about the RE lift Rob.. My XJ rides smooth as silk.. And has been tough as nails (except control arm bushings)... That is why I'm going with their springs and shocks...

Has anyone heard of an RE DB kit failing? I guess I'm not willing to say the RE kit is weak until I hear of one failing.

out of curiosity, how much lift did you have on the non-BD RE kit before, when the rubber bushings were failing?

Has anyone heard of an RE DB kit failing? I guess I'm not willing to say the RE kit is weak until I hear of one failing.

out of curiosity, how much lift did you have on the non-BD RE kit before, when the rubber bushings were failing?

I have heard of the drop brackets breaking off the factory mount but not the actually brackets themselves breaking...

I have the 4.5 RE Superflex on my XJ... The bushings would oval out and start banging in less than a week... I went through two sets in less than five months... The last set couldn't get changed out because RE had a bushing issues with the supplier at the time... So they got so bad I couldn't even drive the Jeep... When I finally got my "new" supplier bushings I already had the drop brackets waiting to be put in... That was in October, seems alot better now but the 45 degree control arm angle I had before the drop brackets couldn't have helped those bushings much....

I have heard of the drop brackets breaking off the factory mount but not the actually brackets themselves breaking...

Barring any new info, that leads me to believe that the weak link (that the braces support) is the XJ brackets. MJ brackets could never snap off.

That is what I was starting to think but I just don't want the ugly bracket hanging down with out the brace... I'm gonna check and see if I can order the kit without the drop brackets and then buy the RRO drops... I just like them better... That is what I have on my XJ... They are very beefy...

Also, what about the spring perches... Is it worth the money to get antiwrap perches vs. regular perches... Is spring wrap gonna be a problem without lengthened perches?

I added a second main leaf to my leaf packs (with the eyes cut off) and have had no real spring wrap issues. Spring perches are stock ford (sorta). Hellcreek makes an AAL that replicates this and comes with the hardware (center bolt and longer leaf clamps). Ford Explorer main leafs can also work (had one in my 90, but it was SUA so I'm not sure how it compares).