XJ License Plate Relocation

Since many of you guys have XJ's here's a little mod I finished up this morning .......

Materials:

Pilot Automotive Stealth light LED wht/red License Plate Surround $20

Peice of Galvenized flat steel $4

First thing, mark holes for the end of the bracket that will mount to your existing plate holes. Then I measured where I needed bends in the steel, then used a hacksaw to cut just a little into the steel (1/4 through), just to allow it to bend easier.

Second, Drill your holes for where you want the plate. Also remove your exisiting License Plate lamp, drill a small hole to allow the wires to go through. Then splice'm up.

Lastly, mount it up, double check your connections

I thought this was a cool idea for anyone who does not want to drill massive holes into their rear hatch. Many people run bumpers with spare tire mounts and sometimes its a pain to rewire the plate, this seems like a pretty simple solution.

Interesting... I'd almost consider running a similar piece for the bottom license plate holes to stiffen it up a bit and then attach a couple rubber pieces to the back behind the license plate to act as isolators so the plate won't flap around in the breeze and beat up the paint on the tailgate.

I actually ordered it through a local Speed shop ...... I know that Autozone sometimes carries them, It's made by "Pilot"..... some others are junk or are really cheesy, but anyhow. I was thinking of getting some steel and the plates and making some kits, maybe in the $50 dollar range ......

Here's a pic that I took in blizzard

Enjoy!!!

Its pretty stiff, you could stiff'n it up with a bottom bracket ...... I used plastic nuts over top of the tips of the bolts so that the plastic hits the vehicle and not the bolt end.

Nice Idea! If you would like the critique...

Dosen't it "flap" against the door a bit? If you made the steel longer so you could be bent in a "U" in the end, so it could wrap it around the edge of the door, into the door gap. Then across to the stock plate position, as you have it now. Also, if you weld, make studs outs them bolts then the back will be smooth! jamminz.gif

I LOVE the surround lite effect!! I put a LED lite on mine too, it's so freakin' brite I have some electric tape over part of it! :doh: Otherwise it lights up the road behind the truck!!

CW