Forward window channel solution

I had asked several times if anyone had found a suitable sub for the window channel sealing strip...this is the vertical strp that runs betwen the front of the window and the frame that seperates that little wing window.

Team Cherokee sell the OEM for 99 bucks a piece so for two windows it is 200.

After trying several different types of rubber window channels the one I found that works is style 24 from precision. I had to get calipers and measure the three critical dimesnions to get on ethat fit perfect. It is felt lined and works absolutely perfect. Takes like 2 minutes to install. Now i did not run it all the way down inside the door. i chipped out what was dry rotted down to just below the level of the door with the window rolled down and left what was below that level there as it was not dry rotted and well..I have no desire to take my door panels off yet again to get inside and do what is below the level of the window rolled down.

When i do remove the panels I will pull out the rest of the OEM seal and finsih it off.

One piece is all you need for two full windows and costs 17 bucks....yippee.

Here is the link to JCWhitney...it is style 24.

Remember this does not work for the rest of the win dow as that channel is a bit larger and you can get the OEM stuff from mopar parts for 33 bucks anyway.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ALL-RUBBER_WIN ... 009944;0;0

here is a pic...I hope..

Image Not Found

Yep one strip....it is like 8 feet or more I think. I still have 5 feet left over and there can't be 20" left in the door...so yep plenty. May be a bit fun trying to get it down the side of the window inside the door which is why I was told to remove the window first...which is why I said...screw dat....and only replaced the upper half....for now. I just could not take that constant rattle of the window when it was not rolled up and when it was rolled up the wind noise was rather loud also...as the entires OEM strip was gone.

scott

Nice find...I'm still smarting from paying $116 for the 4 window wipes from Team Cherokee...

Went outside and took a look at those vertical seals, and the driver's side one is rotted. The passenger side looks to be in good shape, but if they're as easy to install as you're saying, I'll just replace them both. So I ordered one of those style 24 window rubbers you had the link to, should get them next week. Hopefully, between these vertical seals and the window wipes I just installed, the glass should fit nice and snug, no rattling, and hopefully no water leaks down inside the door. I still have to make a trip to the local pick and pull, to get the aluminum window trim that goes along the very bottom edge on the outside, but after that, the window seals should be good to go...

Yep one strip....it is like 8 feet or more I think. I still have 5 feet left over and there can't be 20" left in the door...so yep plenty. May be a bit fun trying to get it down the side of the window inside the door which is why I was told to remove the window first...which is why I said...screw dat....and only replaced the upper half....for now. I just could not take that constant rattle of the window when it was not rolled up and when it was rolled up the wind noise was rather loud also...as the entires OEM strip was gone.

scott

I know what you mean. In the winter my passenger side whistles. If you push on the channel strip it stops.

Nice find...I'm still smarting from paying $116 for the 4 window wipes from Team Cherokee...

Went outside and took a look at those vertical seals, and the driver's side one is rotted. The passenger side looks to be in good shape, but if they're as easy to install as you're saying, I'll just replace them both. So I ordered one of those style 24 window rubbers you had the link to, should get them next week. Hopefully, between these vertical seals and the window wipes I just installed, the glass should fit nice and snug, no rattling, and hopefully no water leaks down inside the door. I still have to make a trip to the local pick and pull, to get the aluminum window trim that goes along the very bottom edge on the outside, but after that, the window seals should be good to go...

Now I agree on the window wipes...no suitable sub for those and I also ponied up for them. Still have to install them...again when i take the door panels off to replace the speakers.....dang panels..on/off..on/off...

Now I agree on the window wipes...no suitable sub for those and I also ponied up for them. Still have to install them...again when i take the door panels off to replace the speakers.....dang panels..on/off..on/off...

I know what you mean about taking the panels on and off...I'm planning on going to the local pick and pull today, and see if I can find the lower window trim piece for the passenger door. If I find one, I was going to try and install it today, but since I have those vertical window seals on order, I think I'll wait until I get them. That way, if I have to pull the door panel, I'll only have to do it once, and I can install the window trim and vertical seals at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new door panels (the ones with checkered cloth in the middle, "hockey stick" arm rests, and storage bins at the bottom), and these JCW window seals a couple of days ago, and got everything installed yesterday. I didn't remove the windows, so I only replaced the window seals as far down as the window would roll down. Both sides were pretty much dry rotted, so they came out cleanly in sections, lol! But these window seals from JCW fit PERFECTLY, and were only $17 plus S&H for an 8-foot section. I started at the very top, pushed it in and up as far as it would go, then worked my way down. I used a box cutter to cut the bottom, and pushed it into the channel, trying to get it as close to the remaining window seal that's inside the door, so the window wouldn't go off track. Took me probably 5 minutes per side to do this. I still have plenty left over after doing both of the upper window seal sections. Combined with the new lower window wipes, the windows roll up nice and snug now, even into the top of the window channel.

GREAT FIND, and thanks for posting the info!

Got my new door panels (the ones with checkered cloth in the middle, "hockey stick" arm rests, and storage bins at the bottom), and these JCW window seals a couple of days ago, and got everything installed yesterday.

Sounds like you got the Laredo door panels?

:needpics:

:D

Got my new door panels (the ones with checkered cloth in the middle, "hockey stick" arm rests, and storage bins at the bottom), and these JCW window seals a couple of days ago, and got everything installed yesterday.

Sounds like you got the Laredo door panels?

:needpics:

:D

Lol...okay, as requested...I got the gray cloth buckets and gray full console installed, along with the new door panels...definitley breaks up all that maroon...but in keeping with this thread, those window channel seals from JCW are a great fit, and easy to install, great find!

Lol...okay, as requested...I got the gray cloth buckets and gray full console installed, along with the new door panels...definitley breaks up all that maroon...but in keeping with this thread, those window channel seals from JCW are a great fit, and easy to install, great find!

You didn't like the chrome plates behind the armrests? (I took mine off too).

Funny, my 'new' MJ ('89 Pioneer) has the big chrome plate behind the armrest, but not the little diamond shaped one behind the upper portion of the armrest.

Must've been a 'Laredo only' thing. :D

(My first XJ was a Maroon interior '87 Laredo, and it had all the little chrome do-dads)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of chrome, so I'm glad these door panels didn't have any. Also, glad that the window trim doesn't have shiny bits on them either, to include the new vertical window seals (in keeping with the thread, lol!).

I don't know what it is about these MJ's, with all their sources of water leaks inside the cab. We had a good rain here, and I pulled up the floor mats, and looks like I have a couple of new leaks. These are coming from the back, and puddling under the seats. I'll take a look tomorrow, dry up the water, blow out the seam at the bottom of the back edge of the cab, and see if laying down some silicone along that seam will stop the leak.

• 2 years later...

Here is the link to JCWhitney...it is style 24.

Remember this does not work for the rest of the win dow as that channel is a bit larger and you can get the OEM stuff from mopar parts for 33 bucks anyway.

http://www.jcwhitney... ... 009944;0;0

Unfortunately the link you provided just goes to a generic JC whitney weatherstripping page, not a product you can purchase.

JC whitney is saying Style 29 is the one to use not Style 24.

For style 29 the SKU #: JCW- 132654.

I can not find style 24 on there website.

Does anybody have an SKU# for style 24.

• 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...