Cruise COntrol in a 5spd?

They're not necessary though. You can rig a brake switch to the clutch and tie it in, but the older factory 5 speeds with cruise didn't have them. None that I've seen, anyway.

Learned that the hard way the first time. Threw in the clutch at 60 MPH, luckily I reacted fast enough and tapped the brakes before it revved too high.

The ones I have seen on vehicles equipped with manual transmissions(not Jeeps) had a disconnect under the clutch pedal. This keeps the engine from revving up when the load is removed and the CC is still engaged. Most autos have the disconnect under the brake pedal.

I stripped out a 91 XJ with a 4.0/5 speed that had cruise. The brakes killed the cruise, not the clutch. I put the cruise in my 91 MJ 4.0 5 speed, and it works the same way, perfectly.

I've been told it's not that hard to put a brake switch, or later model XJ clutch switch in and wire it to the brake signal wire.

The cruise in my first manual renix never worked, so I didn't look into it. Only Renix I have now is an auto, it may be different.

I'm not entirely sure on the list of parts for a Renix, but, you should need;

Vacuum actuator

2 piece speedometer cable

Cruise steering column stalk

Cruise brain box from under the dash

Wiring harness to go from the brain box to the actuator

I did the swap on an HO, which was ridiculously easy. I only needed the stalk and the actuator, wiring was already all in there and the ECU controls the cruise.

Any clutch switch should work... AFAIK, the pedals were never changed.

Don't want to rain on the parade because I first installed a cruise control on a Corvair I purchased new in 1969. Yes, I have "been there, done that".

Frankly, most highways are too crowded here in California to make good use of a Crusise Control.

Last month I drove from San Diego to Seattle and back on Interstate 5 and US 101. Tried to use the Cruise Control as much as possible. But found I was having to reset the cruise control every few miles because of other drivers on the road. Meaning traffic was not moving at a reasonably uniform speed to make a cruise control worth using. And my average MPG for the round trip was just short of 30 MPG. (Range from 28 to 32 mpg). Car was a 2003 Toyota Camry, 4 cyl. automatic.

What I mean to say is that a cruise control "sounds" nice, but it is not all that great in practice. Want to do something really good? Put A/C in your Comanche if you don't have it now. (Yes, I installed factory A/C in my 1969 Corvair in about 1972, A buddy of mine installed A/C in his 66 turbocharged Corvair at the same time). Both turned out "REALLY COOL".

This old fart says find something else to do for the Comanche. There has GOT to be other things you will like better.

Again, sorry to rain on your parade. Just this fellows experience over the last 40 years. Have to tell you that a Cruse control setting "might" have saved me from speeding tickets in Wyoming and Utah a couple of years ago. Frankly, I doubt it because they both drop the speed limit VERY quickly when your come to a town.

Guess that is how they finance City/County Services. Carbon County, Utah - One traffic litght in the 4th largest county in the state. Want to guess who got nailed with a ticket????

I added a cruise control I got from J.C.Whitney some 20 years on my 87 w/ ba-10, still working great cuts out with brake or clutch was made for the MJ back then I mounted the throttle servo next to the airbox.

Image Not Found

Came with Vaccum ball, I mounted it here and a new lever.

Image Not Found

And I do use it alot to save on gas.

• 2 weeks later...
I added a cruise control I got from J.C.Whitney some 20 years on my 87 w/ ba-10, still working great cuts out with brake or clutch was made for the MJ back then I mounted the throttle servo next to the airbox.

Image Not Found

Came with Vaccum ball, I mounted it here and a new lever.

Image Not Found

And I do use it alot to save on gas.

Very Cool, I'm guessing that kit is NLA though...

I want to add cruise too though it seems to be a bit more difficult with the Renix era trucks. I noticed from looking at the rigs in the boneyard, that the cruise equipped trucks have a bigger vacuum bottle in the bumper (cylinder shape vs. smaller globe). I don't think it matters what manual trans you have. If i can get all the parts together, I will do a writeup :thumbsup:

here in NC, i spend a lot of time on roads most wouldn't use cruise on but i use it to keep from getting speeding tickets. once I get to speed, I set the cruise. If you slow down you only need to get back up to speed and hit resume or just hit resume and it holds you there. I like it.