Adding Power Steering

I searched this site and looked through the DIY forum and was unable to find any write ups or information on how to add power steering to a Comanche that came without said option. Does anyone have any information on what parts will be required, and what is entailed in the install? I would like to add power steering to the 89 Comanche I will be picking up shortly.

I did this to my 87 Comanche 2.5. The bracket was already there for the pump, but with just an idler pulley in the place of the pump. Get the correct pump for your application and the correct hoses. The steering box will just be a direct swap, the steering shaft should be the correct length already. Bolt up the box, bolt up the pump, add the lines. If you have a 4.0 the resevior will mount to the pump, if you have a 2.5 the resevior will be remote mount. Your best bet would be to find a complete setup in the junkyard and pull it all yourself. That will get you aquainted with all that you will need to do to put it in yours. Use some quality fluid, and a bottle of Lucas Power steering stop leak and youll be all set ot go. Good Luck!

Edit: If you buy all new, you will also need a pulley for the pump. I could not find an aftermarket pulley anywhere for my 2.5 pump. I had to get one through Chrysler restoration parts through the dealer. Also.. no one carrys a resevior for it either.. not even chrysler... Junk yard is your friend! I modified a resevior from a Caravan and it seems to work OK, but I think an original would be better. Here is a pic of my Caravan resevior.

I made the mounting bracket for it, and ran the hoses. You may on may not need to get a new serpentine belt also. And the rest of the steering linkage should be the same. If you buy a new or rebuilt box, just transfer the pitman arm over and youll be all set. If you get a junkyard box from a Cherokee or Comanche, it should be correct already, just make sure they look the same. Good Luck!

I think Morris Center carrys the remote reservior.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-in ... r=52003130

Says it for an 87-90 XJ 2.5 but it should still be the same.

I've ordered from them before and they have a pretty decent selection of parts.

As for the pulley, you can get it from one of my favorite parts suppliers

www.rockauto.com

DORMAN Part # 300301 {OE Solutions #53002909}

It is listed under a 93 2.5 XJ but the 93 XJ and 91 MJ both list the same power steering pump under part

A-1 CARDONE Part # 20820 {w/o Reservoir; Reman.}

We need some more details about your setup. What engine do you have? Did you get all new parts, or used ones? If used, did you pull thr parts yourself?

It is pretty starightforward. If you have a 4.0 there are just 2 lines, a supply, and a return. If you have a 2.5, there is a third hose that goes from the resevior to the pump, usually much larger in diameter. I can't remember if on my steering box the fittings were 2 different sizes or not, but they may be, and if that is the case, it can only hook up one way. You can see in my previous post picture that there is one line from the pump that has a screwed in fitting... that is the main pressure feed line to the box. Then there is a line that come from my box... smaller in diam that goes to the resevior, then there is a large diam hose that goes from the resevior back to the pump completing the circuit. If the two line connections on the box are two different sizes, theres only one way to hook it up. If they arent different sizes, Then I can go out to look at the truck for you tommorow and let you know which is which. Good luck! And don't forget to get a bottle of Lucas Power steering stop leak!

• 2 years later...

Update:

Recently the pump I bought went bad. I'm not sure it was all good to begin with as it always made a bit of noise. I replaced the pump and would have been OK, but I was never happy with the Caravan resevior as the large supply hose to the pump was not the correct size on the pump end as the two were different ( res side was larger ). I had a Dodge Journey resevior laying around left over from a recall, and it has the correct size hose connections, and even bolted up in place of the Caravan resevior. It has been working well and is a much better alternative.

I just did this about a week ago. Swapped a complete power steering set up from a '89XJ into my '87MJ. Since I had the donor and donee sitting side by side it was easy. Biggest problem I ran into is the reservoir and air intake hose. Not enough room for both. The reservoir top goes where the intake hose is. The perfect solution here is use a earlier pump '85-'86 with seperate reservoir. It mounts on the radiator support. The 89 was a 4.0 and the 87 is 2.5. I have pics but haven't been able to photo bucket them. There are also filter units that are narrower and the hose fits farther back, thus no interference. I'm going to swap it over in a day or two, when ever I get the time.

That's why the 2.5 setup has a remote reservoir.

As to the original poster:

on a 4.0 there are 2 hoses, a pressure hose that goes from the pump to the steering gear (box). Both ends have a screw in fitting. Then there is a return hose from the steering gear to the pump mounted reservoir. This one has a crew in fitting on one end and a hose clamp on the other end. The fittings on the steering gear end of the two hoses are different sizes.

On a 2.5 set up the reservoir goes next to the radiator.and there is a third hose between thereservoir and the pump.

If I were to do the swap (and I have in my 79 F100 after dislocating a finger during a sharp turn) I would pull all the parts from a junk yard vehicle, which would most likely be a Cherokee in this case, but use new hoses from a parts store.

Got my camera and photobucket working so let's finish this up. The problem; Interference between reservoir and air hose.

Image Not Found

The solution. Get parts from another MJ-XJ.

1989 MJ

Image Not Found

Another 1989 MJ

Image Not Found

1986 MJImage Not Found

1986 MJ

Image Not Found

1988MJImage Not Found

1985 XJ

Image Not Found

Or, as a last resort, use an aftermarket. There is also a snorkel type filter but I didn't take a pic of it. Anyone wants one, let me know.

Image Not Found

By using a 1989 XJ for donor all parts were a bolt in. No modifications needed. Any questions, just ask. I really like it. Wish I'd done it sooner. AC next. Jim