fitting 31s

Street driving or off-road?

2 or 4 wheel drive?

Sagging suspension?

Willing to trim fenders?

As a general rule, without trimming, a two inch budget boost will clear 31s for street driving, 3.5" for off-road.

If you want more info on how to do those types of lift, search the site - tons and tons of info.

Which tires are they? Some manufacturers are true 31s, others are more like 30".

Add an inch or so of bumpstop and some WJ lower control arms and you can run them on 0 lift. It'll be tight, but with the proper bumpstopping it should work ok. A full blown 3" kit would be much better though. :thumbsup:

This is my 90 on 31s (no lift and WJ arms):

here's mine when it was bone stock on 31s,I drove it like this for awhile even went offroad a little. It rubbed bad with the stock wheels but after i changed wheels it was fine. I have the 4cyl so i have less weight out front,thats probably why i got away with it on a stock setup.

ZJ V8 coils will give you approximately 1" of lift. The XJ "Up Country" front coils are the same part number as ZJ V8 coils.

But coils will not help you with rubbing. Where tires larger than 31s rub on the front of an XJ or MJ is the lower control arms. Replace those with the LCAs from a WJ Grand Cherokee, and the problem goes away. The WJ LCAs have a bend t clear the tires.

And run OEM Jeep rims. They allow the 31s to stuff up inside the flares. Aftermarket wheels all have less backspacing (stick out farther), resulting in the tires hitting the flares and the sheet metal. On OEM rims, 31x10.50s will cycle through the full range of suspension movement without hitting. The LCA rub is on sharp turns, not "articulation."

ZJ V8 coils will give you approximately 1" of lift. The XJ "Up Country" front coils are the same part number as ZJ V8 coils.

But coils will not help you with rubbing. Where tires larger than 31s rub on the front of an XJ or MJ is the lower control arms. Replace those with the LCAs from a WJ Grand Cherokee, and the problem goes away. The WJ LCAs have a bend t clear the tires.

And run OEM Jeep rims. They allow the 31s to stuff up inside the flares. Aftermarket wheels all have less backspacing (stick out farther), resulting in the tires hitting the flares and the sheet metal. On OEM rims, 31x10.50s will cycle through the full range of suspension movement without hitting. The LCA rub is on sharp turns, not "articulation."

What's the least amount of backspacing you can get away with before you have to lift/trim?