new idea... I'm thinking diesel!

it's not a very easy swap if you've got no experience in this sort of thing, and even if you do it can still be quite challenging.... everything will have to be custom fabbed cause you're using an engine and transmission that was never available in this truck...you'd need to make custom motor/trans mounts, clutch hydraulics/shift linkage if you use an auto, you'd probably have to wire in a whole new set of gauges, plus make the speedo work with the different cable, and you'd also need to overhaul the cooling system.. a 4bt cummins engine is probably youre best bet as far as being able to fit it under the hood.. you'd need to change the whole fuel system, but comanches did come with a renault diesel in 88 and a couple other years so you should be able to find a tank somewhere.. you can get rolls of plastic fuel line from a truck parts supplier, such as fleetpride.. and you'd also have to beef up the suspension to handle the weight of the motor.. the best bet would be to find a complete donor vehicle so you have everything needed to make the engine run once it's installed... a grumman stepvan or old ups truck is your best bet.. i'm sure there's more that i havent thought of, but there's some guys on here who have actually done the swap, so someone should be able to give you a more complete breakdown of everything involved

it's not a very easy swap if you've got no experience in this sort of thing, and even if you do it can still be quite challenging.... everything will have to be custom fabbed cause you're using an engine and transmission that was never available in this truck...you'd need to make custom motor/trans mounts, clutch hydraulics/shift linkage if you use an auto, you'd probably have to wire in a whole new set of gauges, plus make the speedo work with the different cable, and you'd also need to overhaul the cooling system.. a 4bt cummins engine is probably youre best bet as far as being able to fit it under the hood.. you'd need to change the whole fuel system, but comanches did come with a renault diesel in 88 and a couple other years so you should be able to find a tank somewhere.. you can get rolls of plastic fuel line from a truck parts supplier, such as fleetpride.. and you'd also have to beef up the suspension to handle the weight of the motor.. the best bet would be to find a complete donor vehicle so you have everything needed to make the engine run once it's installed... a grumman stepvan or old ups truck is your best bet.. i'm sure there's more that i havent thought of, but there's some guys on here who have actually done the swap, so someone should be able to give you a more complete breakdown of everything involved

The 2.1L Renault diesel was only available in '86 in the Comanches. Also, the 4BTA swap has been done a couple times, in fact there's a member here (MJ4BTA) that has done the swap and posted pics and whatnot.

If i can remember, I think the 4bt was most commonly found in bread trucks. Look for the ones that have similar starting systems. I also think there is a build of 4bt that will somewhat readily take a 6 speed out of a ram.

Rob L.

Ive seen a few references to late model diesel cherokees on here. If thats true, what were they? I'm sure they are rare if they exist, and wouldnt that be the most straightforward swap? Any info on them woiuld be great for everyone to know about.

Ive seen a few references to late model diesel cherokees on here. If thats true, what were they? I'm sure they are rare if they exist, and wouldnt that be the most straightforward swap? Any info on them woiuld be great for everyone to know about.

IIRC, '94-'01 Cherokees sold in Europe, Australia and South America were available with an Italian-made 2.5 Diesels, mated to the AX15 transmission. The engine was made by VM Motori, which was owned by Daimler/Chysler for a time, and is the same company that made the CRD Liberty's that were available here in the US for a bit.

The Diesel Cherokees were never available in the US, but some popped up in Canada, and a lot ended up in Mexico. If you live in a border state, you may luck out and be able to find one, but they are rare.

I have to slightly disagree with you... You could special order the diesels... but you had to know the someone up there in Jeep, or D/C I bought one wrecked in Pennsylvania. It was owned by a mail carrier, who special ordered it... it has a grand total of 32000 miles... 2.5 VM motori engine...with an AX-15... I have been holding on to it....just in case...sometime down the line....who knows..... I have seen them pop up here and there on Ebay and whatnot... But to get parts...or find them on the internet...You have to search..... I might be interested in selling mine...for the right price... Pm me...thanks

I have to slightly disagree with you... You could special order the diesels... but you had to know the someone up there in Jeep, or D/C I bought one wrecked in Pennsylvania. It was owned by a mail carrier, who special ordered it... it has a grand total of 32000 miles... 2.5 VM motori engine...with an AX-15... I have been holding on to it....just in case...sometime down the line....who knows..... I have seen them pop up here and there on Ebay and whatnot... But to get parts...or find them on the internet...You have to search..... I might be interested in selling mine...for the right price... Pm me...thanks

A green one on ebay?

They were never sold in the US, even if you knew someone you couldn't get one. It just didn't happen.

There was no special order. (but mistakes happen, like how I got my 2.5 CRD)