power window wiring

Found a few good power window motors and regulators today so I picked them up.

Now, I am planning on mounting the switches on the dash where the rear wiper and trans "power" switch would go If I had those options.

My question comes down to two things:

Does anyone have a diagram for me to do this? I would assume I need a switch that is grounded, and when thrown one way applies power to raise the window, and when thrown the other way shoots power backwards to lower the window. So that would be a double pole double throw switch?

And, do these draw enough power to justify a relay, or will a fused circuit work fine?

David

Ok, I have that diagram somewhere but I could not find it.

I started thinking about it, and I am kinda liking the idea of round momentary push button switches. It would take a little more wiring, but it would look pretty cool. Just use the little red or chrome 1/8" buttons. 1 for up and 1 for down on each window. Since I am going for a "stock but different" look for the truck and interior.

I just wish I could get a power rear slider too.

Ok, I have that diagram somewhere but I could not find it.

I started thinking about it, and I am kinda liking the idea of round momentary push button switches. It would take a little more wiring, but it would look pretty cool. Just use the little red or chrome 1/8" buttons. 1 for up and 1 for down on each window. Since I am going for a "stock but different" look for the truck and interior.

The momentary contact push button switches would work, you would need two for each window since you are not controlling the passengers side window remotely from the drivers side. But those little push button switches usually have a pretty low amp rating; the regulator motor can draw over 10A especially if the channel is tight at the top like mine is. I'd rather use a single heavier two pole double throw momentary contact toggle switch for each window to be safe. Course that would mean the passenger would have to reach across to your side of the dash to move their window. :fool:

I ride alone almost all the time. The only passengers I have ever had was my dad once and my wife rides with me occasionally. Usually we just take her car.

I shall have to figure something out.

note: would the momentary push button work? I was thinking about using 2 of them for each window, but with the way the DC motor works forward and reverse I am having trouble getting my head wrapped around how you could have it still be a complete circuit. I will probably just use the double pole double throw rocker type and be done with it.

I want to use the extra switchs on the door for other things I will have, even the alarm button I have wired it. It is a blast to hit when you get some fool that just cut you off to hit the button and they hear the siren. I did just that the other day after a car pulled in front of me after passing me then slowed back down. You should have seen them putting on the seat belts, the whole car shifted as both front passengers we diving for the belts.

The diagram is what I needed.

• 5 years later...

Pulled a full power window/lock harness from a '92 XJ along with the motors, switches, door panels and hardware and installed it all in my '88 MJ. The only wire that "plugs" back in is the tan power lead, it plugs right back into the fuse panel like it was in the XJ. You have to splice in a ground wire to the body from the black wire in the harness because the XJ ground was attached to body in the left quarter panel inside next to the lift gate. This will get you power windows, sadly more will need to be figured out to get the power locks operational. Haven't gotten to that yet.