Trim Level details

I searched, but did not find an answer (bad search terms, maybe?). I'm sure it's on here somewhere, but apparently I'm too thick to find it (which makes me sound retarded with my 2nd post).

What're the differences between the different trim levels, i.e. Pioneer vs. Eliminator.

TIA

The Eliminator contains more standard items, like the full gauge package and bucket seats. But a buyer could order pretty much everything added to the Pioneer. Jeep was funny that way. :dunno:

Here is the 89 pricing and options from a buying guide I picked up before I bought my truck. Excuse my scribblings, I was planning on ordering the truck as I wanted but ended up buying one off the lot anyway.

Fixed.

mj-pricesheet-01.jpg

mj-pricesheet-02.jpg

~Alex

Cool. I've noticed almost all the MJs on CL never list what trim level it is ... this should help me narrow it down more easily.

Some of the big choices to make when looking for an MJ (organized roughly in order of difficulty to change):

-Solid body or rustbucket

-long or short bed

-4.0 or 2.5

-stick or auto

-A/C or not

-2wd or 4wd

Anything else is fairly easy and you can parts-shop XJs and MJs in the junkyards to build the comanche you want. Don't think that you need an Eliminator to get all the goodies. A solid base model truck will usually suffice. Be sure to ask before buying anything. There are a bunch of minor changes over the year that can make for major headaches later on. :thumbsup:

Cool. I've noticed almost all the MJs on CL never list what trim level it is ... this should help me narrow it down more easily.

Some of the big choices to make when looking for an MJ (organized roughly in order of difficulty to change):

-Solid body or rustbucket

-long or short bed

-4.0 or 2.5

-stick or auto

-A/C or not

-2wd or 4wd

Anything else is fairly easy and you can parts-shop XJs and MJs in the junkyards to build the comanche you want. Don't think that you need an Eliminator to get all the goodies. A solid base model truck will usually suffice. Be sure to ask before buying anything. There are a bunch of minor changes over the year that can make for major headaches later on. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. I think I like the way LWB look better than SWB, but it's not a deal breaker for me. This'll be a DD/Trash hauler. I have an XJ to beat the crap out of, heh.

I definitely want the 6 cyl, I like having power. AT or MT doesn't matter, but I gotta have A/C. It gets miserable in TN.

• 2 weeks later...

Both have pros and cons. I liked the SWB for the looks at first, but when I had my old truck, after putting in a toolbox in the SWB, the bed got mighty small. I am building a LWB now because I want to be able to put a tool box in, and not use up half the bed.

Rob L.

Both have pros and cons. I liked the SWB for the looks at first, but when I had my old truck, after putting in a toolbox in the SWB, the bed got mighty small. I am building a LWB now because I want to be able to put a tool box in, and not use up half the bed.

Rob L.

That's one of the reasons I wanted the LWB. Since there is no extended cab option, it adds more storage, w/o totally sacrificing the bed space.

I've had both and I tell you what... I miss my LWB. I didn't care for a toolbox but it looked better and was more useful. The SWB looks good as well, and functions great off-road but is not very useful for carrying anything around... the roll bar doesn't help either though since it hogs half the bed as much as a toolbox would. The SWB would not look nearly as good lifted more then 3" with 31" tires as a LWB would IMHO though. Just my two cents.

~Alex