internal to external slave cylinder

I have a 1990 ax4 internal converting to 1998 ax5 external

you need whatever it takes to make a 98 trans work in a 98.

hopefully you have the proper slave cylinder, throwout bearing and plate.

you have the 98 bellhousing? do you have the parts for inside of it?

it shouldn't be too hard if you have that all. being that not many guys here have ax5's or ax4's and/or are simply getting rid of theirs with a 4.0 conversion, I don't think that many people here will know exactly what parts are in a 98 trans bellhousing...

yes i do have bell housing and 1998 clutch kit and slave cylinder. I didnt if or how the slave cylinder lines would bolt up .

you may have to use a 98 master cylinder with it.

is the 98 slave plastic? or is is steel?

...it's all going to be piecing it together until it works...

Do you think it would be easier to take internal bellhousing and retainer front bearing and swap it. Then just have a internal slave cylinder on the ax5.

nope. the bearing retainers are different sizes since the 98 trans has different bearings. thus, the bearing retainers are different.

just use the 98 parts.

Is there any differance between 1998 wrangler ax5 and or was there even a 4 cyl in a cherokee in 1998.

there was a 4 cyl in 98.

what exactly are you putting this in...I assumed a comanche since this is a comanche forum, but I've been wrong before...you didn't say so I put the @$$ in @$$ume...

Yes it is going in a 1990 2wd soon to be 4wd. I am just trying to get all of the parts before i start. Clutch kit slave cylinder trans bushing. I already have the transfercase and driveshafts

Yes it is going in a 1990 2wd soon to be 4wd. I am just trying to get all of the parts before i start. Clutch kit slave cylinder trans bushing. I already have the transfercase and driveshafts

buy everything for a 1998. clutch kit and all. the 90 clutch kit won't engage properly with the 98 throwout assembly in all likelihood

I started taking apart clutch mastercylinder (1990) and compared with the new one (1998).They are to differant sizes about 1 1/8 differance. Is there anyway i could get a custom made line so i can use 1990 master cylinder.

I used a two dollar brass 1/4"-5/16" compression fitting to adapt my '99 slave line to my '88 master line (AX-15 though I don't think that matters). Still working great after 7 years. :thumbsup:

One more question. Did jeep ever come out with a factory heavy duty clutch for 2.5. I am only going to run 31s. thanks

I wouldn't worry about the clutch. Upgrading the clutch is something you really only need to worry about when you're running high horsepower. If you're concerned about tire size, axle gearing is more what you should be worried about. If you're running 31s and a 2.5, you're going to want AT LEAST 4.10s, but lower would be much better.

Truck is originally a 4 speed right? Chances are you have 3.55.