Crank Sensor questions

Yesterday I experienced a couple misfire/stumbles at cruising speed , then after exiting the hi-way the (2.5 ) stalled out completely . It took 4-5 tries to get it re-started and when it did it pegged the tach . Some background....Had same situation 3-4 years back ,replaced the CPS .....Recently the valve cover was just pissing oil ,but took my sweet time before repairing it (2 days ago ) Question is , could the oil running down the back get into the CPS and cause the stalling ? Can I just clean it or is it wiser to buy a new unit ? :???:

Yesterday I experienced a couple misfire/stumbles at cruising speed , then after exiting the hi-way the (2.5 ) stalled out completely . It took 4-5 tries to get it re-started and when it did it pegged the tach . Some background....Had same situation 3-4 years back ,replaced the CPS .....Recently the valve cover was just pissing oil ,but took my sweet time before repairing it (2 days ago ) Question is , could the oil running down the back get into the CPS and cause the stalling ? Can I just clean it or is it wiser to buy a new unit ? :???:

For sure try cleaning it before you go buy another one. If it gets to dirty it can't read right so will mess up.

Also check the wires leading to the CPS. My g/f's XJ was having problems. Come to find out the wires were hitting the exhaust manifold. The insulation burnt through and the bare wires would hit each other once and awhile...

A good cleaning of the CPS is also recommended.

Buying new is an option but there are testing procedures for the CPS that you should do before you throw cash at a new one.

I just looked this up in the FSM quick. I think its what you need:

To test it, disconnect the plug from the harness and put an ohm-meter between terminals a and b on the plug. With the engine warm, if the reading is between 125-275 ohms, your CPS is good.

Here is the FSM I got it out of: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12517

Well a little maintenance goes a long way .....Removed and cleaned the "engine speed sensor" , added nomex sleeve to protect the wire harness . Also installed new CCV grommet and cleared the VC breather tube . Running much smoother and the idle speed has dropped 250 RPM ( its a good thing ) , seems to run much easier as well as pulling RPM faster . :clapping: This forum is an incredible resource , the wealth of group experience is invaluable .Thanks :thumbsup: