How would you fix this?

I noticed that the upper hinge on Onyx had been re-welded at some point in her life. The more I looked at it the worse it looked.

I finally decided to see if I could just send some bolts through the hinge or use a MoPar repair kit. Neither will repair this mess!

If you had as much time as I do into this truck how would you fix this. BTW the pics are sickening!

ide take a cutoff wheel and cut it out, then take it to a donor vehicle, trace the shape, and cut out a donor piece and weld it back in to the origional. youl want to cut it about a 1/16th-1/8th smaller than the hole and then just fill in with weld and grind it smooth

Jeep has (or had) two repair kits -- one was for minor separation and the other was for major separation. They gave some criteria in the TSB for deciding which kit you need but I don't recall what the numbers were. If it's still available, I think the "major" kit would fix this, because IIRC the repair strap extends well beyond the original hinge weld area.

Wow, that sucks. I agree with cutting it out and replacing from a donor. And even though it will be a lot of work, I'd pull that nice dash out just to make sure I didn't melt anything or catch it on fire. Would hate to see that on such a nice build.

:cheers: