steering box?

Well, I helped swap an xj steering box in a YJ and it fit right in, I just left one bolt out - after all there are 3 bolts holding it - the jeep has benn running like this for several years of fourwheeling w/o any issues....

Well, I helped swap an xj steering box in a YJ and it fit right in, I just left one bolt out - after all there are 3 bolts holding it - the jeep has benn running like this for several years of fourwheeling w/o any issues....

Yea you don't need the 4th bolt but the reason a lot of XJ guys do it is b/c the added support and the YJ box is a fixed ratio instead of a varible ratio box

Well, nice to know that this can work. I called the local parts house and they said that the boxes usaed different mounts and stub stickout. Oh, well. Something learned for the day. :waving:

Yea you don't need the 4th bolt but the reason a lot of XJ guys do it is b/c the added support and the YJ box is a fixed ratio instead of a varible ratio box

The FSM indicates that the XJ box is a fixed ratio. Where do you see references to variable ratio in the XJ/MJ?

The FSM indicates that the XJ box is a fixed ratio. Where do you see references to variable ratio in the XJ/MJ?

My 1991 FSM refers to the steering box as variable ratio. Excerpt from the 1993 Service manual:

STEERING SYSTEM - POWER

1993 Jeep Cherokee

1993 STEERING

Chrysler Corp. Power Steering - Recirculating Ball

Jeep; Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Grand Wagoneer, Wrangler

DESCRIPTION & OPERATION

NOTE: This article has been revised as per TSB # 19-02-93 dated Feb. 22, 1993. Steering gear is a variable ratio, recirculating ball type. Power assist is provided by a belt driven hydraulic pump. Control valves are located inside steering gear housing.

Maybe the Renix boxes are fixed??

I'm going to send Pete the bill for treating my hernia. Just dragged out the 88 (which is really the 86), 94, and 2000 factory manuals.

88(86) (XJ & MJ):

Steering gear type: Recirculating ball with hydraulic assist

Steering Gear Ratio:

.....1984-85 & 86 "off road" package .......... 17:1

.....1986 - All except "off road" package ..... 14:1

----------------------------

1994 (XJ & YJ):

Ratio Code (Top of Gear):

.....BH, NZ ............................................ 14:1

.....BF, XS ...................................... 13 - 16:1

.....AL ................................................ 12.7:1

2000 (XJ Only):

Steering Gear

.....Type.............................. Recirculating Ball

Gear Ratio:

.....LHD ................................................ 14:1

.....RHD ................................................ 14:1

The 1994 FSM covers both the XJ Cherokee and the YJ Wrangler, so I have no way of knowing which of those steering box code would apply to which vehicles and/or which packages. I know the steering in the 2000 XJ feels much better than the 88 XJ and MJ, but I'd be extremely happy if I could lay my hands on one of the 12.7:1 boxes for my daily driver. I've been tempted to take the box out of one of the hulks and have it rebuilt as a 12:1 box. That would be just about right for the way I drive, I think.

I'm going to send Pete the bill for treating my hernia. Just dragged out the 88 (which is really the 86), 94, and 2000 factory manuals.

88(86) (XJ & MJ):

Steering Gear Ratio:

.....1984-85 & 86 "off road" package .......... 17:1

.....1986 - All except "off road" package ..... 14:1

1994 (XJ & YJ):

Ratio Code (Top of Gear):

.....BH, NZ ............................................ 14:1

.....BF, XS ...................................... 13 - 16:1

.....AL ................................................ 12.7:1

2000 (XJ Only):

Steering Gear

.....Type.............................. Recirculating Ball

Gear Ratio:

.....LHD ................................................ 14:1

.....RHD ................................................ 14:1

The 1994 FSM covers both the XJ Cherokee and the YJ Wrangler, so I have no way of knowing which of those steering box code would apply to which vehicles and/or which packages. I know the steering in the 2000 XJ feels much better than the 88 XJ and MJ, but I'd be extremely happy if I could lay my hands on one of the 12.7:1 boxes for my daily driver. I've been tempted to take the box out of one of the hulks and have it rebuilt as a 12:1 box. That would be just about right for the way I drive, I think.

Well I know for sure the YJs are fixed ratio boxes. But what you posted Eagle is something I've been thinking about doing for awhile. My 91 steering box (14.1:1 ratio) has some slop and I am looking for a replacement. I am almost sure that the 90s ZJ V8 box (12.7:1 ratio) would be a direct swap. This would quicken the steering a bit and it's also beefier. Have read about the Durango and YJ box swaps, but the ratio is higher or the same (unless you get one rebuilt as you suggested). So what do you think Eagle - will the ZJ box work? I've done a lot of searching and have not found anyone who has done the ZJ box in an XJ/MJ, but the GM hot rod guys swap them all the time for the quick steering ratio.

GM boxes are pretty widely interchangeable, whether they used three or four bolts to mount. The fourth bolt can be ignored in an MJ/XJ, and I think the other three are in the same positions.

In my case, the Borgeson Company (http://www.borgeson.com/) is just a few miles north of me, and even closer to where I work, so one of these days I plan on taking the worn out box I took out of the 88 MJ up to them and asking if they'll rebuild it to a 12:1 box, with a stiff spool valve for better road feel/response.

I really hate variable ratio. The problem is, I do a WHOLE lot more highway driving than I do off-roading. Fir highway driving, I want a box that gives my instantaneous response if I need to make an evasive manuever. And the variable ratio boxes are slowest at the straight ahead (center) position, and the ratio gets faster as you get more into the turn. For my purposes, that's worse than useless -- it bass-ackwards.

GM boxes are pretty widely interchangeable, whether they used three or four bolts to mount. The fourth bolt can be ignored in an MJ/XJ, and I think the other three are in the same positions.

In my case, the Borgeson Company (http://www.borgeson.com/) is just a few miles north of me, and even closer to where I work, so one of these days I plan on taking the worn out box I took out of the 88 MJ up to them and asking if they'll rebuild it to a 12:1 box, with a stiff spool valve for better road feel/response.

I really hate variable ratio. The problem is, I do a WHOLE lot more highway driving than I do off-roading. Fir highway driving, I want a box that gives my instantaneous response if I need to make an evasive manuever. And the variable ratio boxes are slowest at the straight ahead (center) position, and the ratio gets faster as you get more into the turn. For my purposes, that's worse than useless -- it bass-ackwards.

Same-o. That's what I'm looking for too. :D

I am going to put a GM box into mine when I get power steering swapped in. It is the "Z" box from a formula trans am. Should turn in a tighter pattern and be better for the road work I intend to set this up for.

That would be my choice for a junkyard box, too -- if the spline for the pitman arm is the same. That should have the quick ratio, and the spool valve (the "module" to which someone referrered above) should be the one that provides less boost & better road feel.

I am going to put a GM box into mine when I get power steering swapped in. It is the "Z" box from a formula trans am. Should turn in a tighter pattern and be better for the road work I intend to set this up for.

That would be my choice for a junkyard box, too -- if the spline for the pitman arm is the same. That should have the quick ratio, and the spool valve (the "module" to which someone referrered above) should be the one that provides less boost & better road feel.

we had it in my buddies cherokee, but we took it out when the pitman seal started leaking. I will just change out the seals and call it done. It worked fine, and his pitman fit right on.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new (to me) ZJ steering box installed today from a 95 Grand. All the 92-1/2 to 98 ZJs boxes had a quicker steering ratio than our XJ/MJ boxes (12.7:1 vs. 14.1:1). Man, it makes a world of difference with the quicker steering and is much more responsive on the road. Handles almost like a sportscar now mates. :D I'm not sure if the ZJ box is variable ratio the XJ/MJ, or fixed ratio like the YJ. But it sure feels better. Very worthwhile mod, I like it a LOT better. :cheers:

Wouldnt you want that if your lifted?

Naw, not needed for 3" or below. Good for bigger lifts though........

The ZJ pitman arm is a good alternative (read cheaper) to an aftermarket arm for bigger lifts though.

• 6 years later...