looking for info on the 97' conversion

Hi Guys,

I'm am going to do the 97' front end conversion to my 87' MJ. I read on her that someone found fenders for 82.50 each. where can I find the vendor that sells them for that price and is there anywhere else I can look for the other parts at a good price? Also, do I really need the header panel to make the upgrade? hasn't someone on here done the conversion and didn't use the panel? I'll be ready to start gathering up the parts needed in about 2 weeks. does the headlights from the MJ work with this swap or do I have to buy separate ones? thanks in advance for your help.

Bear

Hi Guys,

I'm am going to do the 97' front end conversion to my 87' MJ. I read on her that someone found fenders for 82.50 each. where can I find the vendor that sells them for that price and is there anywhere else I can look for the other parts at a good price? Also, do I really need the header panel to make the upgrade? hasn't someone on here done the conversion and didn't use the panel? I'll be ready to start gathering up the parts needed in about 2 weeks. does the headlights from the MJ work with this swap or do I have to buy separate ones? thanks in advance for your help.

Bear

www.certifit.com

It's pretty close to bolt on. Only hitch (which is minor) is the turn signals and the running lights. You'll need the factory 97-01 socket for the inner turn signal, the 96 and older turn socket should fit into the outer socket hole, and the factory 97-01 sockets for the running lights and just splice them in. I didn't use the bracing that the 96 and older fenders use, I just bolted the fender to the corner of the header panel and then bolts that hold the header panel do the main job of holding it all together. I beat mine pretty good and haven't had any issues with it being loose.

It's amazing what just that little change does to the look of the truck.

What if I wanted to keep my old fenders, hood, headlights, and front bumper and just swap in the 97+ clip and grille? Haven't seen this done - doable?

its doable (well, not sure about the headlights), i know someone on here has done it...i'll see if i can find the project thread.

edit: I found the thread i was thinking of...its watchamakalit's build

2951409050045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

The header panel is a little more rounded in the corners, so there ends up being a gap:

2158952950045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

What if I wanted to keep my old fenders, hood, headlights, and front bumper and just swap in the 97+ clip and grille? Haven't seen this done - doable?

Hood is the same 87-01, headlights are the same

you need to switch the headlight housing left to right if you reuse it on the 97+ front.

fender liners are the same, as yes you can reuse your flares with the new fenders.(though you will be cutting some on the fenders)

here's mine i just got finished and painted. I picked up a 97 XJ with low compression for $600, parted out a ton of stuff and got all my money back, and still had all my front end parts, seats, console, etc. But I did spluge on the $30 chrome set-up off ebay image_209027.gif

1986 hood matched perfect. I replaced the fenders, bumpers, bumper caps, and header panel/lights.

100_0142.jpg

here's mine i just got finished and painted. I picked up a 97 XJ with low compression for $600, parted out a ton of stuff and got all my money back, and still had all my front end parts, seats, console, etc. But I did spluge on the $30 chrome set-up off ebay image_209027.gif

1986 hood matched perfect. I replaced the fenders, bumpers, bumper caps, and header panel/lights.

100_0142.jpg

That does look super smartazz. :D Since you have done it, and in looking closely at it, I don't see any reason why I swap out the clip and fenders and couldn't retain the original bumper and flares w/o trimming anything. Do you agree?

That does look super smartazz. :D Since you have done it, and in looking closely at it, I don't see any reason why I swap out the clip and fenders and couldn't retain the original bumper and flares w/o trimming anything. Do you agree?

Agree. The bumper is "optional" and you can just swap the clip and leave your original bumper. I just wanted to finished off the "look" of the 97+ front end. Heck i have even seen old 87-96 Bumpers on 97-01 Cherokees.

To use your original flare you would need to keep your old fender mounting clips. 97-01 plastic flares "clip" on to a different style of mounts.

EDIT: found pic of old bumper, new cherokee..

red97xjoldbumper.JPG

The 97+ fenders aren't full length in the front. There would be a gap bottom side near the bumper end cap. I considered doing this...and the only way I would do the swap keeping the 84-96 XJ bumper is by cutting/ welding the "lower" portion of a pre-97 fender in this area.

The 97+ fenders aren't full length in the front. There would be a gap bottom side near the bumper end cap. I considered doing this...and the only way I would do the swap keeping the 84-96 XJ bumper is by cutting/ welding the "lower" portion of a pre-97 fender in this area.

Yeah, I see what G is saying:

Pre 97 Fender:

5072.jpg

Post 97 Fender

67fa_1.JPG

I think JB is right - easiest way is to make the new FG header fit the upper fender contour.