Lube for latch? Hood struts?

Pete,

What should I use to lube the hood release mechanisms? And exactly where should they be lubed?

Any comments about putting gas struts on to assist hood lift???

Serious question. Even in So Calif. I feel the friction from the lack of lube.

Thanks,

John Jackson

--Lube you hood release mechanisms! Including inside the cable and the center pivot. With every oil change if not more often

Pete,

What should I use to lube the hood release mechanisms? And exactly where should they be lubed?

Any comments about putting gas struts on to assist hood lift???

I use lithium grease in a spray can (one with a straw), but pretty much any lube is better than none.

I added one to my 88, but just blindly purchased a couple from the store and found one that I could make work. The power of the lift and the angles it's installed at are very important. There are several holes in my hood as I tracked down the sweet spot.

Are those just XJ rear lift struts? Where did you get the hardware? I'm guessing you pulled it off of the XJ with the struts?

No idea what the struts went to. The auto parts store wasn't organized in a way that could tell me that. For all I know it came from a minivan. :dunno: One of the brackets is from the old hood prop and the other is, um, I forget. Probably just something I found in the garage. :D Not the best choice for hardware, but they get the job done and were free.

Id like to get some of the joints (hardware) that those gas struts mount to. I know they are commonly used on truck toppers and such. Does anybody know where to get them? I already have 2 rear gas props that have that female ball shaped joint fitting on the ends of them. I might stop by in a topper sales center to see if they have any later this week.

Installed the Redline Hoodlift kit today - like it a lot. Good instructions w. accurate measurements and quality parts.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The only thing they don't tell you is that you have to notch out a little bit on the underhood so it doesn't touch the fender mounted strut bracket. Also you have to adjust the hood hinge cables a little tighter to stop the lift or will touch on the wiper arm. The hood goes up a lot higher now than with the old prop rod so I won't be creasing my skull anymore on the hood latch. :D

Image Not Found