Dash removal

What is the easiest way to do this? I already have radio, air/heat controls, gauge cluster pulled. I have the lower dash removed. What exactly is next?

unscrew the heater vent, and fiddle with it until you get it shoved back inside the dash.

next get a 15mm long socket.

unbolt the steering column

then witha phillips head, uncrew the screws holding the defrost vent cover and remove it. use a 1/4" universal swivel and some long extensions to remove the 4 main screws holding the front of the dash in.

go down to the bottom of the dash just above each kick panel, and loosen the two 15mm bolts there.

pull the dash back, lift up, then go and pop all of the wiring clips off so you get the harness off the dash.

remove dash. it's easiest to push it through the passenger side door. it's real light so *shrug*.

-Pat

:agree:

Some useful stuff to add, when you pull the defroster cover, I found a eight inch flex shaft works good. Also the drivers side has, I think 3, holding clips that you need to be patient with when pulling the trim piece out or you'll break it. Just slowly work your way across from the passenger side to the drivers side lifting at the point closes to where it's still attached.

If your not taking the wiring harness off the dash, I found it easiest to leave it on the hooks at the kick panel and let it tilt towards the rear of the truck. Then you can disconnect anything still plugged in, and remove the dash with wiring harness.

:cheers:

Remove everything from the front of the dash.

Then pull the upper cover and take the 4 or 5 bolts out next to the windsheild.

The column can stay put but it does make it easier to remove the steering wheel to get the dash out

We should have switched it while you were here.

The doorless mod is cool though. Have you been showing it off yet?

I'm in the middle of this right now, how do I get the fuse block unplugged from the dash wiring? I've undone the two screws holding it to the firewall, its come forward, but I can't see anything else right now.

Anyone need an interior out of a 88?

I'm in the middle of this right now, how do I get the fuse block unplugged from the dash wiring? I've undone the two screws holding it to the firewall, its come forward, but I can't see anything else right now.

Anyone need an interior out of a 88?

Keep messing with it. Once you get the screws loose enough the fuse box will come out. I thought I was going to break it on the way out.

I don't need a 88 interior (I gave it all to BookspanS) but I want your brown door panels still!

go inside the engine bay and in the center of the bulkhead connector there is a 7mm bolt. a 7mm may not fit but it's roughly that size.

take it loose then you can pull the whole thing apart.

as for shelbyluvv's idea...NO don't just pull it off, it will break the bulkhead connector.

Shelbyluvv...my dad hates me now cause of that mod cause he used to show off that only his jeep could have the doors removed :D . As for the interior I got from you, the dash should be in tomorrow evening, the seatbelts, and visors are currently in, and as you already know the door panels are in. Still trying to sort through all the stuff :ack:

go inside the engine bay and in the center of the bulkhead connector there is a 7mm bolt. a 7mm may not fit but it's roughly that size.

as for shelbyluvv's idea...NO don't just pull it off, it will break the bulkhead connector.

Yup that did it, not 6mm, not 7mm, but a .25" socket fit perfect(6.5mm?)

I guess the next step for me is removing the engine, it will make getting to the heater box/blower box easier.

I guess the next step for me is removing the engine, it will make getting to the heater box/blower box easier.

you don't need the heaterbox loose to take the dash out.

I already have the dash out. The heaterbox is the next step, I will pull the engine to make getting to those studs easier.

I already have the dash out. The heaterbox is the next step, I will pull the engine to make getting to those studs easier.

just checking, trying to help and didn't know what all you needed to do.

just checking, trying to help and didn't know what all you needed to do.

Ya, its always appreciated, FYI I'm gutting the interior/engine bay/frame for my CRD build:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10092

Yea, got that a few hours ago...other dash is in, now just having truuble getting the wires to line up where they were at before

lol. good luck. I usually end up getting as many as I can, then just put the wire connectors where they need it to be and call it good.

• 1 year later...

No it won't. The heater/blower box is on the passenger compartment side of the firewall. Removing the engine will do NOTHING to make getting at that any easier. The only heater part accessed from the engine compartment is the fan motor/blower itself (not the box), and you don't have to remove the engine to R&R the blower fan.

No it won't. The heater/blower box is on the passenger compartment side of the firewall. Removing the engine will do NOTHING to make getting at that any easier. The only heater part accessed from the engine compartment is the fan motor/blower itself (not the box), and you don't have to remove the engine to R&R the blower fan.

Eagle, he needed the entire heater box removed. that is easy with the engine removed. 3 of the bolts holding the heater box to the firewall are directly behind the engine, and at an angle a ratcheting wrench won't work at...and not enouth room for a ratchet and the deep well socket you need.

• 2 years later...