Battery Relay/Solenoid??

What is this mystery solenoid? Its mounted on the passenger side inner fender of my 86 MJ. It is obviously some kind of solenoid switch, but its a rectangle shape, not like the typical round starter solenoids. I am having charging issues and wanted to replace it since its attached directly to the alternator. It also has about 6-8 more wires coming off it it. What is it actually called, and does anybody have a link to a replacement part?

That looks more like what I call the underhood ignition switch/dristribrution box- behind the battery/in front of the relays-

if old enough, ya- but most charging issues are old batteries, old alternators, or the evil thin wire between that needs upgrading.

remember- the dash guage is wrong- it lies.

I went and looked at my truck. The alt charge wire goes to the stud on this relay just to use it as a junction point, but there is a fusible link on there. Did you check the link?

Smart man. It was indeed the fusible link. I actually fixed it this afternoon before checking on here. It did not burn, it was just very badly corroded and i could feel the wire was disconnect inside the plastic. Based on that I decided that it was time to replace all my cables. I replaced both my battery cables and the alternator wires. I think it was $20 well spent. I also added a ground wire from the battery to the sheetmetal. Now I'm charging at 14 volts and have brighter headlights jamminz.gif

That looks more like what I call the underhood ignition switch/dristribrution box- behind the battery/in front of the relays-

if old enough, ya- but most charging issues are old batteries, old alternators, or the evil thin wire between that needs upgrading.

remember- the dash guage is wrong- it lies.

I installed a cheapo sunpro volt meter from autozone a few weeks ago when I thought something was wrong, sure enough it was the same crappy voltage as it was reading on the dash.. :ack:

It is the starter relay, but I am not an electrical wiz by any stretch of the imagination so I don't know if it would have anything to do with charging.

It doesnt have anything to do with charging, i guess jeep decided to use this starter relay as a junction block.

2 wires from battery on my 86:

Battery---> main stud on starter relay ---> alternator (i used 10ga wire with a new fusible link)

Battery ---> starter (4ga big cable)