2wd to 4x4 whats involved?

Being a n00b to the Jeep, Comanche, Modding thing I thought Id ask the most common question out there. Fresh Thread for fresh ideas:

I am bailing on the engine swap for now it is too complicated and when I was looking for a cap for my 86 to keep my junkyard treasures dry I found a gorgeous 91 4.0ho AW-4 with cap and sunroof that doesn't leak which solves all but one new problem... it is 2wd.

So what is the to-do list for a 2wd - 4x4 swap? What can stay and what has to go?

Is it just tossing on a front axle and t-case (and of course drive shafts)? I really love bolt-on procedures....

:waving:

1. Front Differential

2. Transfer Case

3. 4wd Transmission

4. 4wd Transmission Wiring Harness

5. Shift Linkage For Transfer Case

6. Shifter and Bezal For Interior

7. Front and Rear Drive Shafts

8. And All The Nuts And Bolts For Everything

I found this on a google search... am I missing anything now?

How are 2wd Comanches in snow?

I would get a non-CAD front axle. And I wouldn't worry too much about the 4wd transmission harness. To the best of my knowledge, I think it only turns on the little 4wd light on the dash (which your 2wd truck won't have anyway). Oh, and you can have the 2wd rear driveshaft cut down to size if you can't find the right 4wd rear shaft.

Your best bet would be to find an XJ that's 4wd, same engine/tranny combo and same axle gearing at a JY or browse craigslist. Or live an hour from Jeepco. My first conversion ran about $500, and most of that was the cost of rebuilding the Dana 30(New bearings, balljoints, U-joints, UCA/AS bushings). You could probably find an XJ with everything you need. sans the rear shaft, for about that.

There are multiple threads on here with people that have done conversions. Do a little searching and I think you'll find everything you need. If not, don't hesitate to ask. jamminz.gif

Its sounds like you got a pretty good idea of what to get so far. You can look at my build, I converted mine over. Well I haven’t got the shifter and linkage or the drive shaft yet. Its pretty easy and straight forward though. There are plenty of build ups doing this, just keep looking around and you should have no problem. My biggest one was the pilot bearing (witch if that’s the biggest problem you have, your good). Good luck!! :thumbsup:

as stated, swap the transmission; there is no way to bolt the TC on as you need to swap the output shaft to the 4wd one, which requires that you remove and completely disassemble the transmission...which is absolutely not easy on an Aw4

other than that, you've got the right idea. of the 5 MJ's on my property, only one was factory 4wd, the other 4 my brother father and I converted, and I've got two or three more to pick up during the holidays (depending) of which two are 4wd and one is 2wd. the 2wd is just as common as 4wd, and with the cherokee interchangeability, that's an easy enough project.

• 2 years later...
How are 2wd Comanches in snow?

About as bad as any small pickup -- which means pretty bad.

Some weight in the bed (forward of or directly over the rear axle) helps. A limited slip differential helps a lot.

We need to make a '2WD to 4WD' thread stickied in the tech forum laying out the various options of doing this conversion. Pretty pictures included. Especially one of why a 2WD MJ/XJ trans can not simply have a transfer case bolted on to it.

so i am wanting to do the same thing with my 1990 2wd auto MJ

and i have a 1996 XJ donor 4x4 that is auto will this set up work?

Thanks

Ty

yes, but be sure to read up on any trans wiring changes. :thumbsup:

We need to make a '2WD to 4WD' thread stickied in the tech forum laying out the various options of doing this conversion. Pretty pictures included. Especially one of why a 2WD MJ/XJ trans can not simply have a transfer case bolted on to it.

are you volunteering? :brows: it will be in the DIY forum though.

Nope. Even though I could do it, I'm going to leave it to someone who has experience and will include the specific things that the non-experienced would miss. Things like pilot bushings, wiring for the TCU, driveshaft lengths, etc.

Don't have anything going on and got a '88 2wd MJ with non running 2.5 and a '88XJ 4wd with the 4.0L with 30K on rebuilt Jasper. Think I'll just do it. :wrench:

Thinking about it, I have a 1988 XJ with the 4.0 engine and Puke goat tranny. Have a AX15 which would be used instead. Also have a 1998 XJ with the 4.0 engine and and the AW4 tranny. Which one of these swaps would be preferred? By preferred I mean which would be of most interest to the forum? :wrench:

Thinking about it, I have a 1988 XJ with the 4.0 engine and Puke goat tranny. Have a AX15 which would be used instead. Also have a 1998 XJ with the 4.0 engine and and the AW4 tranny. Which one of these swaps would be preferred? By preferred I mean which would be of most interest to the forum? :wrench:

You have enough rigs that you should be able to cover all the combinations,that should keep you busy for a while.

You have enough rigs that you should be able to cover all the combinations,that should keep you busy for a while.

OK..I also have a '97 ZJ with 4.0 and 42RE (or RE42) and a '01 WJ with 5.2V8 and 42RE. Got 5 2WD MJ'S. Got the rigs alright. Just not sure I've got the time.

You certain that '01WJ has the 5.2L V8? The 5.2L and 5.9L V8 ZJ's were replaced by the 4.7L V8 in the '99 and newer WJ's.

It was swapped in by me, for a neighbor a couple months ago. He busted the 4.7 and had the 5.2 layin in the garage. He'd still be driving it if he hadn't let his kid drive it. 70mph+45mph curve+4 inches snow=Jim gets a wrecked WJ.

Nope. Even though I could do it, I'm going to leave it to someone who has experience and will include the specific things that the non-experienced would miss. Things like pilot bushings, wiring for the TCU, driveshaft lengths, etc.

my basic reasons for not stickying topics like that are thus:

each situation is different and individual threads allows us to tailor a response to the person asking. plus a post outlying every single possible outcome and combination would be huge and we'd have to find someone to do it.

also, and this is more of a philosophical reason, I want to encourage guys to just ask their questions. even if it's the same one time and again. it spawns interaction and conversation, which can be important for bringing new members into the ranks of regular posters.

There is something already like that HERE I think thats the best you can get, and any other ?'s they have they just ask.

Brandon