HO valve cover on a Renix 4.0 UPDATE

Anyone here running a later model VC on a Renix 4.0? I've got some pretty serious blowby issues on the new 4.0, but ONLY at highway speeds. Around town, idling, playing in the woods it's fine. Rumor has it that the larger CCV vaccuum line and the baffle vs. "towers" on the steel cover helps combat pulling oil into the airbox. I'm gonna try one from the JY and see what happens. If it doesn't help, I'll end up doing the hillbilly catch-can thing.

Jeff

p.s. all the usual blowby fixes have already been addressed with no effect. This engine sat in Pat's garage for a couple years before I put it back together and installed it.....I'm thinking maybe some of the rings may be stuck, but I'd figure they would have loosened up by now (?) Haven't done a compression/leakdown test yet, but it's got tons of power. Would new valve seals help any?

the front (fresh air) line is the same size, but the rear one that pulls vac from the TB is larger. In theory, it should pull more pressure back into the TB and keep less of it from pushing out the front line, and dumping oil in the airbox.

Or so I've heard, anyway....

Jeff

the front (fresh air) line is the same size, but the rear one that pulls vac from the TB is larger. In theory, it should pull more pressure back into the TB and keep less of it from pushing out the front line, and dumping oil in the airbox.

Or so I've heard, anyway....Jeff

Yes, it works well. I did this mod on my old 91 engine. Cured the blow-by completely.

CLICK Here

I'm'a give it a shot and see what happens..I'll only be out $6 if it doesn't work :D

It's raining like a SOB here today and supposed to all day tomorrow, so this may be a next-weekend project. I love the JY, but not in the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

haven't done it yet......been really busy at work the last couple of weeks. If we get back from PA early enough on Sunday I'm gonna run down to the 'yard and grab a VC.

Started the MJ up yesterday just to let her run a bit......rubber fuel line @ the filter cracked and is leaking :fs1:

I'm almost positive the cast alum HO 91-94 era covers will fit your rig, the 15 holers. Just have to re-work the CCV plumbing a bit and use the larger rear tube. You'll also need a larger nipple on the intake to match. Should cure your blowby.

• 4 weeks later...

Don (or anyone), is there any reason a later model VC wouldn’t work on the Renix head? I picked up this one at the ‘yard today off a ’97….it’s practically brand new. I’m gonna try to fit it up tomorrow and see what happens. If it doesn’t work, I’m only out $3 :D

Jeff

Image Not Found

Notice, there are no towers inside…..there’s a baffle that runs across the top. That oughta stop any oil from getting sucked out (I hope, anyway….)

Image Not Found

Yes, the late model steel covers will work Jeff, as long as you use the Felpro VS50458R gasket (or similar) that comes with the grommets. Should breath well too. It's good you also got the CCV hoses too. I prefer the earlier cast aluminum ones though that do not use the grommets. :D

I got the brand new *cough* 'spensive FelPro gasket when I did the rebuild. Not sure on the part #, but it is the molded blue rubber one with the metal reinforcements around the bolt holes...

edit: this one...

Image Not Found

I got the brand new *cough* 'spensive FelPro gasket when I did the rebuild. Not sure on the part #, but it is the molded blue rubber one with the metal reinforcements around the bolt holes...

edit: this one...

Image Not Found

That looks like that the Fel-Pro VS50522T gasket that works with the aluminum covers up to 1996, the one I use. They had the lip around the gasket so the grommets are not used. But I'm pretty certain you need the one with the separate grommets as above if you use the late model steel cover.

Hey jeff, any progress with this yet?

I'm currently up in PA for the holiday, leaving back for VA tomorrow morning. Might get it on tomorrow afternoon depending on when we get home. If not, I'll do it on Thursday, and post up the results.

Jeff

Got the covers swapped today…..seems to really have made a difference. I need to take a highway trip to confirm, but so far NO blowby. Before, with the oil cap off, I could feel positive pressure “pulses” coming out of the hole, but nothing with the new cover. Here’s a few pics of what all is involved:

The old Renix cover:

Image Not Found

Removed, you can see the difference in the towers versus the baffle plate:

Image Not Found

The gasket is different (I can’t get the photo to rotate on photobucket…sorry):

Image Not Found

The new gasket comes with grommets for the sleeves that the cover bolts fit thru, pop them out and install them:

Image Not Found

Had to change the nipple fitting on the manifold for the larger vacuum tube:

Image Not Found

Installed, and I cleaned up all the Renix vacuum tubing mess

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Got the covers swapped today…..seems to really have made a difference. I need to take a highway trip to confirm, but so far NO blowby. Before, with the oil cap off, I could feel positive pressure “pulses” coming out of the hole, but nothing with the new cover.

I thank you with great sincerity for undertaking this procedure.

Oh, and :cheers:

still need to get it out on the highway for a sustained high speed run to confirm the problem's been solved, but so far, so good :cheers:

I shortened the vac hose on the back half of the cover and ran it to the vac port on the back side of the intake manifold instead of the front one (like the later model HO engines).

Jeff

still need to get it out on the highway for a sustained high speed run to confirm the problem's been solved, but so far, so good :cheers:

I shortened the vac hose on the back half of the cover and ran it to the vac port on the back side of the intake manifold instead of the front one (like the later model HO engines).

Jeff

Still holding up?