Weird Noise

Yeah, I'm gonna need help with this one.

How do you guys post a video up with sound so I can just let you guys hear what the MJ is doing? I'm having a hard time even explaining it to my self.

Here's my best attempt. It sound like metal hitting metal. Remember in grade school when someone dragged a chair across the cafeteria floor? That's it. :nuts:

It sounds like it's coming from where the intake and exhaust mani's are.

At first I thought it was suspension related, because it would do it as I was turning a corner. Then I noticed it makes said noise if I'm standing still. Never makes it while I'm cruising. Does it when I hit the throttle at a light to go and then stops. I can feel a stutter/vibration in the gas pedal when it makes this sound. If I pop the hood and blip the throttle by hand so it'll rev from idle to 2500 RPM's it does it. It does not do it if I accelerate the throttle by hand slowly. I also thought it was an exhaust leak but the truck isn't any louder. I can't see any part of the exhaust hitting anything when the throttle is hit and I'm under the truck.

I've seen three differnt guys and nobody has a clue.

Could it be something in my throttle body is jacked?

Besides the stuuter in the gas pedal when the noise is made the truck runs and shifts perfectly normal.

Anybody got any ideas on what to start looking for?

edit: I figured out how to post video. I'll post one up 2morrow.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belt is tight 87. It's what I thought too at first but that's not it.

MMMM, cat huh Brent. I guess there's no way to really check that unless i rip it off. I wonder if it's bolted or welded on. I gotta go check.

While I have it off, is there any disadvantage to hollowing the cat out. I don't need it for emissions here. At least what I mean is they won't hook it up to a sniffer. It just has to look like it's sitting there because of the year and miles. I'll eventually put a new one on, I just don't feel like spending two hundred some odd dollars on it right now.

I'm working on getting a video up.

Anybody got any other ideas in the meantime?

mmmm

K, here's the only way I could get the video to show. Watch my finger as I blip the throttle. You''ll hear the noise. Right at the end I slowly accelerate and it doesn't make the noise. Noise quality sucks cause it's a cell phone but you get the picture. Let me know what you guys think or I can try and take another video farther away so you won't hear the engine as much.

That video is not terrible. Considering it's a cell phone...it's quite good really. From what I hear there, I believe even more that it's the Cat.. I would try what you mentioned above and see what happens as there should be no ill effect from just cleaning it out otherthan a loss of a little back pressure.

K, here's the only way I could get the video to show. Watch my finger as I blip the throttle. You''ll hear the noise. Right at the end I slowly accelerate and it doesn't make the noise. Noise quality sucks cause it's a cell phone but you get the picture. Let me know what you guys think or I can try and take another video farther away so you won't hear the engine as much.

Sounds like it's praying to the Porcelin God Chico. :D X2 on the cat...

Sounds like it's praying to the Porcelin God Chico. :D X2 on the cat...

Actually in person it sounds more like the truck's farting thru metal @$$ cheeks. Sorry, no other way to explain it.

The Gods have spoken. Cat is coming off :bowdown:

I'm on it. :thumbsup: Out of curiosity, what happens when it plugs up?

The truck starts losing power. Eventually it'll just keep stalling out.

Partially clogged, it can also cause engine overheating and if it clogs completly...it will not run at all.

Yeah man you never heard of the banana in the tailpipe trick??

I was thinking you could just cut the cat off and put in a straight pipe..

Cat has to visually be there for state inspection.

I'm trying really hard but I just can't get my Eddie Murphy voice going...

HE HEE HEE HEEE HEEE

Stardate 12345

A customer of mine orders a stromboli for lunch today and owns a shop so in the process of taking his order I ask him if he's got a bay open so I can borrow his tools and throw the truck on the lift to make my life a little easier.

He agrees and I get it six feet up.

Of course for the hour and a half that I'm sitting in his shop the truck won't make any funny noises. He's heard it before and looks all around but says he can't figure out what the noise is. I calmly explain that I'd like to remove the cat and hollow it out anyway, but he refuses to help me or let me do it myself. His explanation is that the cat can not possibly be clogged with the amount of air coming out of the tail pipe. I tell him in my best Don Corleone voice I'd like to do it anyway because maybe just maybe he's wrong and I'd like to check. He's says no because if I hollow out the cat it'll smell like wrotten eggs coming outta the tail pipe. I told him not to stand down wind of me.

Does it smell like wrotten eggs if the cat's hollowed out?

So I said get outta the way and hand me a 13 or 14 mm or I'm gonna wack you over the head with the boli.

He refused so I hit him with the boli.

I drove back to work depressed that I got nothing done and as soon as I pulled back into the parking lot it started making that noise again :hateputers:

My Suburban never smelled like rotten eggs when it didn't have a cat. My Comanche doesn't have a cat (but I'm not aware of that, it was missing when I bought it :D ) and it doesn't smell like rotten eggs. The smell comes from suphur in the gasoline and doesn't directly have anything to do with the catalytic converter.

I can understand why he wouldn't let you take it off. Even if you do it yourself, if you do it in his shop he can be fined $10,000 for it.

Grab the sawzall when your wife's not looking.

And now that you have presumably fixed your temperature problems, and have had enough time to hire a new delivery person, you gonna go to Badlands Oxt 25?

My Suburban never smelled like rotten eggs when it didn't have a cat. My Comanche doesn't have a cat (but I'm not aware of that, it was missing when I bought it :D ) and it doesn't smell like rotten eggs. The smell comes from suphur in the gasoline and doesn't directly have anything to do with the catalytic converter.

I can understand why he wouldn't let you take it off. Even if you do it yourself, if you do it in his shop he can be fined $10,000 for it.

Grab the sawzall when your wife's not looking.

And now that you have presumably fixed your temperature problems, and have had enough time to hire a new delivery person, you gonna go to Badlands Oxt 25?

My temp problems haven't really been solved. I'm just band-aiding (is this a real word :nuts: ) the prob by running the electric fan and HVAC controls on full blast.

Screw the fine, this bastard gets free food all the time. At least he should have said something about the fine.

I'm trying reeeeealy hard not to pick up that sawzall.

Can't go on the 25th. However the good news is I'm giving up on the shop.

I put it up for sale with a real estate agent. Hopefully the sucker sells and I'll go get a normal job with the mob so I can have more time to work on the MJ (and of course spend more time with the wife and kids)

I'm ripping the cat off tonight......one way or another.

GOOD FOR YOU. if you want to stay legal, take the cat off and get a pipe that has the same outside diameter of the inside diameter of the cat. start it in the hole, hold the cat over the pipe and slam it into the ground until to pipe has sucessfully bored a hole through the cat. tach weld pipe in place, mig weld onto exhaust system. buy case of beer, dispose at will